1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P to ESP with EMGs???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrisWarrington, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Browsing the ESP site I discovered that Whitechapels (not a fan) bassist switched from a Fender P bass to a ESP Viper with active EMGs. Which really made me ask myself what makes someone, who has played Fender P basses for several years, just wake up one day and decided to switch to a ESP with EMGs. :eyebrow: I'm pretty sure he's played just about every brand of bass there is in the past but still always used a fender. I think it has something to do with their three guitarists getting signature models from ESP... then again that's a huge difference in tone. Fender P's sound nothing like a ESP with EMGs.

2. Funny. I started a thread on the new ESP models for 2012. Frank Bello just switched to ESP with EMGs too. He's been a long time Fender player. I haven't read why he switched. I know he swapped out the basslines for EMGs in his Fender models but not sure why he moved to ESP. Maybe they get a sweetheart deal and a boatload of gear that sounds great.

3. maybe it's just the relentless pursuit of the perfect tone (lol). I know I've switched around over the years mostly because I don't know what I want to play and always like trying out new (to me) gear.

4. Well most religious Fender users wouldn't be caught dead using something like an ESP. Your probably right though, if you get offered a great deal on something you might as well take it.

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Maybe it was a gradual process rather than a sudden switch. I've been a Fender guy the entire time I've played bass, then I got an EMG-loaded Spector last year. For me, the EMG/Tonepump combo just provides much fatter tones.