Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender P to J or J to P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Apr 12, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    Planning to do mods on a budget priced fender P or J clone.
    intended deliverable would be a bass with the P+J config
    Although just speculation,looking how the two pickups on the P are positioned,fitting a bridge pickup to the P to simulate the J seems to me like the neatest and most direct.

2. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    so should I get the P pass or the J bass?

3. RMay

RMay

Dec 5, 2003
    Colorado
    The P and J bass bodies have different body shapes and contours. Which one of these two is the most comfortable and suits your style of playing? Your answer to this question should be a starting point to making your decision.

A good MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special could be an adequate tool. It has the P and J configuration with a Jazz neck width of 1.5". A Precision body with a routed J near the bridge is the most common configuration.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I went with the MIM Fender Deluxe. Toss the pickups and put on a BadAss II Bridge and this thing smokes!! Everywhere I bring it out it draws attention. I routed a back pocket to add a EMG preamp and put in EMG pickups. They fit right into the brass pickguard. I also bumped mine to an 18v pre-amp. Much more drive that way.. :D