1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P to J or J to P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stoneroses, Apr 12, 2004.

1. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    Planning to do mods on a budget priced fender P or J clone.
    intended deliverable would be a bass with the P+J config
    Although just speculation,looking how the two pickups on the P are positioned,fitting a bridge pickup to the P to simulate the J seems to me like the neatest and most direct.

2. stoneroses

stoneroses

Feb 29, 2004
    so should I get the P pass or the J bass?

3. RMay

RMay

Dec 5, 2003
    Colorado
    The P and J bass bodies have different body shapes and contours. Which one of these two is the most comfortable and suits your style of playing? Your answer to this question should be a starting point to making your decision.

A good MIM Fender Deluxe Precision Special could be an adequate tool. It has the P and J configuration with a Jazz neck width of 1.5". A Precision body with a routed J near the bridge is the most common configuration.

4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I went with the MIM Fender Deluxe. Toss the pickups and put on a BadAss II Bridge and this thing smokes!! Everywhere I bring it out it draws attention. I routed a back pocket to add a EMG preamp and put in EMG pickups. They fit right into the brass pickguard. I also bumped mine to an 18v pre-amp. Much more drive that way.. :D