Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender: P v J v Dimension v Anything else under £500 (about $700)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JmD, Jan 14, 2006.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    I'm really looking for something less than £500, and ideally as cheap as possible.

The Fender Standard Series P and J comes in at about £350.

The jump up to the duluxe P-Bass special (with P/J pickups) and the active J comes in at about £500.

And finally the Fender Dimension featuring P+J pickups is about £600. Although I prefer the aesthetics of this is it worth the extra money, theres also the Fender Zone which I know next to nothing about other than in has P+J pickups (I think), anyone know what price this is?

Is the cheapest the best option, is there anything else out there I should consider?

I will try them out closer to the time but I want a rough idea what I should look out for. I'm a bit of a newbie and this will only be my second guitar, and as I get better I will proberly be upgrading electronics so I want a solid, upgradable starting point. I'm going to be playing anything from Punk to Indie-Pop stuff, so it has to be pretty adaptive, and I want something pretty simple that I'll be able to fix.

Thanks

2. Geddy lee
    need i say more they are great but i have a lack of funds at the moment :crying:

3. Geddy Lee is about £600 so you'd have to go used for that one.

Maybe you might wanna go the MIM + Nice New Pickups Route

That'll keep you under £500.

4. you could order from the USA for the geddy but the only thing is shipping will be around $200 plus import tax

5. Consider picking one from guitarjapan.com. You get a lot more options from Fender Japan than from MIM Fender.

6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    G&L Tribute.

I can't think of a better deal for the money (About $560).

7. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    My brother has an American girlfriend so they're over there most holidays, so I could get it posted over there then they could take it back as luggage, and save a bit of cash.

How do the cheaper fender's play compared to the more expensive? Is it jsut the electroics which are different or are the woods different as well?

8. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Hmmm... what about buying 2nd hand. Is there anything to look out for? How much should I expect to save?