Fender P vs Fender J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Creep, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    You have to forgive me, I am not really familiar with the fender basses (no, I don't live in a hole in the ground) I have always played my Musicman 5 or my Warwick. Anyhow I just got rid of the Warwick and was thinking about a Fender and was lookin for some feedback on the differences better the P and the J. Thanks alot. :D
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    P - thumpy, deep tone, bigger neck, harder to get a great slap tone in most cases
    J - smooth, not a deep a P, smaller neck, Slap tone is great almost universally.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm a Precision guy. Thumpy, deep is right. Can get smoothness out of it with Dimarzio's and Tapewounds. You CAN slap with it and it sounds alright.

Now Jazzes on the other hand have their advantages, I just can't name them, but they tend to be a little growlier. Once again, pickups and strings can make a world of differnece.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wasn't trying to say you couldn't slap them, just that some are better than others. I played a 78 P that thing was an amazing slap machine.

Just wanted to clear that up
  5. Yeah, P´s can be slapped alright. I associate their gritty slap sound with 70´s funk and pop, whereas J is more at home with later stylings.