1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender P (what year?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Feb 26, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Does anyone know a quick way to verify the manufacture date of a Fender bass using the serial number?

There's an old P-bass I saw and I'm trying to find out the year.

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yep,
    Get the serial number and go to:

www.mrgearhead.com

then: FAQ's and select the "Axe Dater"

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

John - This is down and dirty because all it really does is indicate when the neckplate was made, (assuming it's not a fake) but it's decent start;

> 0001 to 999999 = It could be as late as mid-63; a number from 100-2000 is seriously old (like 50's)

> If the serial # begins with an "L", it could be from late `62 to late `65 (Note: Now we're getting into the CBS years)

> 100000 to 750000 = towards the end of `65 to mid- `76

> Serial # on the headstock decal = approximately mid-76 or later. An "S", "N" or "E" prefix can date it more exactly and can indicate Japanese manufacture

A couple of other aspects;

- Is the "n" and the "d" of "Fender" on the decal connected and the "d" to the "er" or is there a gap? Connected indicates sometime in 1966 or later

- The patent numbers on the decal can tell you something too. 3 different series of numbers indicates `63-`65; 4 would indicate `66-`68 (and just one or none indicates seriously "vintage")

- The serial number on the neck is another indicator. Their dating system changed a few times for this series of numbers, and even used different systems at the same time, so it gets really confusing.
    For simplicity's sake, all I can say is that if this number is stamped in red or dark blue ink, that's a good reason to get excited - it inidcates early to mid-60's. If it's penciled in, you can go nuts.

In short, these are the quickest ways I know of but are hardly 100% foolproof. Some places sell old neck plates for $125+ and neck plates certainly aren't hard to fake.