1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Paint Question - Blue Agave vs Ice Blue Metallic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HamOnTheCob, Jun 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've scoured the web (and TB) to find definitive information... does anyone here have both a Fender in Blue Agave and a Fender in Ice Blue Metallic or a photo of them side by side to illustrate the differences? It could be Fender guitars, basses, or a combination of the two.

It seems everyone in the Fender community is pretty divided about which is which, and what the characteristics are. For every person who says Ice Blue Metallic is brighter, it seems there's someone who says Ice Blue Metallic is darker. For every person who says "Ice Blue Metallic has more of a metal flake look", there's someone who says the same about the Blue Agave. And for every "Ice Blue Metallic has more of a greenish-silver tint", the same has been said regarding the Agave.

I know I could google each individually, but between variations in lighting, angles, and camera settings, that's still not a great reference for comparison. Add to that the confusion everyone seems to have about which is which, and a single photo I find on Google could be labeled as one when it's actually the other. So I'm really hoping for a side-by-side comparison in one photo. I've looked at tons of marketing material from Fender, and have thus far not found a single piece that includes both colors.

The only thing everyone can truly agree on is that the two are not identical.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

- Jacob

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    it's exactly the same color but shades can vary due to several factors .

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I had a Blue agave bass and also an ice blue but unfortunately never photographed them side by side. I found the ice blue metallic to be more silvery while agave appeared more blue than the ice blue...iced blue seemed a little lighter to me. I found blue agave to be like a lighter shade of Lake placid blue. Ive owned a few LPB basses and even with that theres different shades. I had the James Johnston bass and the Squier classic Vibe '50s bass and they are two different shades of LPB. The James Johnston is a very light shade of LPB...very close to Blue agave but not quite. I think Blue agave is a MIM color and Iced blue is used on American made or both. At least Ive never seen an American made guitar or bass with Blue agave.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017