Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender parts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metron, Mar 22, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Has anyone successfully ordered parts from a Fender dealer? I ordered the deluxe bass bridge and they say its been on back order for months. How ridiculous! This is the bridge they use on all their deluxe basses and they advertise it as a part they sell. :eyebrow: Not only that but the dealer cant seem to get a response from the "Fender parts guy" with an ETA. :rollno:

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I ordered a '62 tort Fender P-Bass pickguard from Fender (through my local dealer).

It took almost two months. From what I gather, in talking to my local store manager, is that Fender doesn't really need to be very fast with parts. It's not like they'll die without your business (which sucks).

But you can't get genuine Fender parts from anywhere else. You can get very good parts that are knock-offs. But if you want genuine Fender replacement parts, it will take a long time to get them.

And yes, you will get no ETA...except for, "it should be here any day" (translation = any day between now and the end of the world).

Good luck and have patience...or try to. :)

3. Jason Ungleich

Jason Ungleich Hipshot Products

Aug 5, 2004
    I manage Hipshot Products and I order the BT4 pegs, that I convert into d tuners, directly from Fender. Some times it takes 6 months for me to receive the tuners. Its really rough but there is no way around it if you order direct.

4. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Awww man! :meh: Thanks sundogue! Your post basically reiterates my experience. I would go with a knockoff but I havent been able to find a replica of the deluxe bridge. All I want is through body as well as standard stringing options but I dont want to drill new holes or put on something larger. :crying:

IMO this is where FMC fails the most in being what the company used to be back in the day. Leo designed his basses such that all the parts could easily be replaced. It seems as though they could not care less about that aspect now.

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Wow! I guess Ill just wait it out. Thanks again guys!

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How often does your dealer do that kind of order? If I need parts from Fender, my local dealer gets on the horn right then, and keeps after it until we get 'em. Usually takes a week, tops, for in-stock parts. Backorders happen, that's a whole other topic. Back when I was in the electronics repair biz, Fender was above average in keeping me happy, I'd say. The parts guy probably has no realistic chance of knowing when a new production run will go off. In my experience (former factory tech) the replacement parts stock will rarely if ever be lifted off the main production line, so there could be thousands of those puppies somewhere in the factory, very easily.

But you can't get genuine Fender parts from anywhere else.

I've seen dealers who stock extensive selections, but I can't recommend anyone off the top of my head. Fender themselves should be able to help you there though, but I could be hopelessly optimistic. :eyebrow:

7. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    They get parts from Fender every week. They have a working relationship with them so the problem seems to be Fender. I did find one place that sells Fender parts online and their page said the deluxe bridge was on back order also. I guess it depends on what parts you want. Im going to get on the horn with them today and talk to them myself. Man all this because I hate only having through body stringing... :oops: :p

8. Passinwind

I was gonna ask about your motivation. At least you can still play the bass for the moment though, eh?

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah its not like I cant play while Im waiting for it. Its just a little frustrating you know?! If that were the case I would have chalked this up as a bad experience but Im not prepared to do that just yet. If they cant get one within 6 months of ordering it :rolleyes: then I will.

10. Passinwind

You don't want to be the repair guy explaining all this to his customer, I can tell you from experience. :rolleyes:

I'd email someone at the company with your feelings. At least when I was there, they listened to and took that stuff pretty seriously. I was just a QC tech, but I received personal visits from some of the top brass, and had free reign to criticize anything I cared to. Management really did seem to give a damn, in other words.

11. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Yeah I can understand that. I havent been hassling the dealer. They are pretty cool guys and I know they would like to get me the part. Well I took your advice and emailed them (email was nearly impossible to find on their page) I hope they do take it seriously. I would like to see Fender do better because I know they can. Ill report back when I get a response. Thanks for all your info wind! :p

12. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Well I emailed them and got a response back this morning. He said that they have been backordered for a while and that orders should be filled soon as he has received word that the bridges are on the way to a place they can be shipped from. Quick response is a good sign. :D

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  14. Passinwind

Way to squeak, Mr. Wheel. :cool:

15. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Just got a call from the dealer and the bridge is in! Exactly as the guy from Fender said. I have to say Im impressed. Good work Fender! :hyper: