1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eva-Borg, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Eva-Borg

Eva-Borg

Aug 11, 2004
    Hi,:confused:

Can I tune it like a 6 String Bass?

Cheers

2. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    you can tune it where you like im pretty sure.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Yes. You can tune it like a bass E-E or like a baritone guitar B-B or A-A or whatever.

4. It's factory-tuned like a 6 String Bass.
    Dirk

5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Yes and no. It is your guitar, you can tune it any way you like and places like Circle K Strings can sell you suitable strings for most tunings. Tuning like a six string bass could mean a couple of things. If you mean tuning in even fourths instead of with that funky major third interval that guitars traditionally have, then sure: EADGCF would certainly work and the strings that come with it might do that since the top two only have to go up half a step. If you mean BEADGC, well it is only a 30 inch scale. It has been done at that scale length but you need a pretty big B string compared to the E that comes with the Bass VI so you will have to modify the nut, tuning peg(s), and bridge. The bridge will be the worst. People already report having to modify it to intonate a heavier E string properly, it may be beyond hope of intonating a B string. The B string tuning peg could also be a big problem. I assume you will have to drill it out to put on a much heavier string and of course there are limits to how big a hole you can drill before it falls apart....

If your desired tuning is based on a note no lower than the 41Hz E then you should be fine. The lower you go the more trouble you can expect and I do not know at what point the whole thing becomes impractical without major modifications.

It is NOT factory tuned like a six string bass, it is tuned EADGBE, like a six string guitar, only an octave lower starting on the 41 Hz E. The string intervals are mostly fourths but the G-B interval is a major third, same as a regular guitar. Six string basses are traditionally tuned in even fourths like other basses and they are traditionally tuned BEADGC, starting on the 31 Hz B.

Ken

6. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    If you can play guitar, I'd leave it tuned (bottom to top) E-A-D-G-B-E and play chords occasionally. If you don't play guitar and don't want to learn chords, I'd bump the top two strings to C-F so you can use our accustomed fingering patterns.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

No. It can ONLY handle standard guitar tunings, I am pretty sure drop D makes the pickups fail.

8. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Drop D also causes earthquakes and cat explosions.

9. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    +1 I used to live in CA, and I can vouch for this theory.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Darnit, now I NEED to get a bass VI. I've got a cat at home that can use some serious exploding. Why does TB always have to give me such GAS?

11. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    i bought a replica from here, and no regrets. play it at minimum one gig a week.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/ARGUS630natash.html

they also have some rickenbacher (that spelling don't look right to me) short scale basses for a lil bit cheaper.