1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pawn Shop vs. Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by George Mann, Sep 25, 2013.

1. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Which one do you prefer, and why?

2. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Bump.

3. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    While I haven't actually played a Pawn Shop Mustang, I prefer the Fender Mustang. I like the feel of the 7 1/2" radius neck (Pawn Shop is 9 1/2"), and I like the "traditional" sound of the split-coil pickup. A lot of folks prefer the Pawn Shop's humbucker, and that's fine if that's the sound you're after. If it makes any difference to you, the Pawn Shop is made in Mexico while the current Fender Mustang is made in Japan. If you're undecided and can't find both at a store where you can play them, I recommend you order both from some place (like Sweetwater) that has a good return policy. BTW, the only hard shell case I've found that fits the Mustang properly is Fender's. They usually sell for $150, but sometimes show up on Amazon for $120.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I played a friends pawn shop mustang and it was great, but it prefer the pickup and smaller radius on my mij mustang. It's got a surprisingly wide array of tones and each sounds awesome.

5. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Bump.

6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Having played both, you get a really nice bass either way.

The Pawn Shop is definitely less trebly and more woofy. Normal Mustang is closer to a P.

7. djg714

djg714

Jun 14, 2013
    I prefer the MIJ Mustang. Great neck and sweet sounds.

8. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    +1

But some folks do prefer a flatter fingerboard. If the OP is choosing, I think he should try both.

9. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    i'm actually in the market for the pawn shop mustang right now, i'm looking for the Olympic white one with racing stripes, and I love the muddy humbucker sound

10. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    I thought so at first as well. But careful listening has uncovered what sounds like a flat, 2-dimentional tone.

Will the right strings make a difference?

11. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I think it's easier to "muddy up" the split single coil tone with a VT Bass pedal (or some such).