1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Pawnshop Bass VI ~ heaviest guage Low E that will work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Mar 6, 2013.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I am VERY curious about the new fender pawnshop bass VI, with an added humbucker in the bridge position and a whammy bar, and a lower price tag than going vintage, it is very tempting.
    Even vintage recreations are going for top dollar, this new version looked unique
    I am very interested in trying a bass tuned from:
    the standard low E to high E,
    (like a 4 string bass with two added high strings)
    My question is this, how thick gauge can we go on the lower strings on this?
    I would like the low E and A strings to feel thicker than their usual gauge, I know I can't expect to get the same gauge E and A as a 4 or 5 string bass, the spacing is tighter.. I realize that.

how much thicker would the string spacing and nut slots allow?
    and. if we widened the slots in the nut and saddles, could we take it a bit heavier?
    (without compromising string spacing)
    anyone have experience w this?

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just wanted to clarify that is a Jazzmaster singlecoil at the bridge. No experience with the strings though.

3. 254 stringer

254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    You can put bigger gauges than come on it. I know people have been putting .095 on it and I think I read somewhere that someone was going to try a .100 can't remember if it was here or offset guitar forums.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think it's a .085 that comes equipped. I bet you could go .100 no problem, but may need a good set up.

5. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I was wondering about that too, it looks just like one!

perhaps JZHB stands for "jazzmaster humbucker"
    maybe they used the vintage looking pu cover for the vintage vibe, but modernized it under the hood..
    so although it looks like an old jazzmaster pu,
    u may be mistaken there...

the Fender website says,"a powerful JZHB humbucking bridge pickup"
    http://www.fender.com/series/pawn-shop/pawn-shop-bass-vi/

the new BP Magazine has a mini review and they mention a "humbucker in the bridge position"

Musician's Friend used the same copy, they say two singles and a humbucker,
    they sell for about $800.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-pawn-shop-bass-vi-electric-baritone-guitar

thank you, i guess the "pawnshop" thing, it's supposed to seem modified..
    it wouldn't dissuade me from purchasing one,either way..
    I'd probably wind up putting hum-cancelling pu's in all 3 positions & an active EQ, it's just what I prefer.

as far as the strings, a .95 or slightly more is fine, just a little something to dig into on the "money' strings..

I had a Bass VI once,it was borrowed, so I couldn't change the strings..
    I dealt with the ancient stock strings that it had, they worked reasonably well in the traditional pop/rock bass role, with some thicker strings,upgraded pu's and a preamp, i think I would like it a bit more.

I was thinking of tossing these in there
    http://www.voodoopickups.com/JBReplacement.shtml
    My buddy had them in his jaguar and they just killed, with the pre or without..

also hearing all these things about a new Lakland decade VI, not sure how it stacks up on the specs, but it sure sounds interesting, I think it's was at NAMM, but not around yet..?

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ah. perhaps it's a stacked humbucker...apologies, I hadn't read the ad copy on that one....

7. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine's not a Fender (30in Dano neck on an old Japanese Burns Bison copy body) but I swapped the .085 for a .105 recently with good results. The .085 was floppy in standard tuning, almost useless dropped a half step to match my band. It's still not balanced as I'd like, but then the .105 I put on was an older takeoff string. I think next time around I'll just install standard light gauge bass strings and add two singles.

8. juan kubiertas

juan kubiertas

Aug 23, 2011
    Put .100 and .080 on the E and A of my pawnshop bass vi. Didn't have to do anyrhing to the neck, but did flip the bridge to be able te intonate the low E. And had to widen the nut slots... Just stript down some windings from two old regular light gauge strings I had laying around!

9. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England
    Bass VI strings were always a 95-25 stainless steel wound set.
    I have them, still un-used since 2005 in package.
    I grabbed them as an emergency backup set for the much harder to find Jaguar Baritone Bass VI Custom strings. (which I have owned since 2005, my fav geet)
    They are also 95-25 stainless steel, same exact strings except they have small ball ends like a standard guitar set so they can go in the tune-o-matic stopbar tailpiece. They were a special order and are like the old standard VI set and are now discontinued. The Bass VI set has full size ball ends, like Bass strings, they don't fit in the stopbars holes. They'll work, but the balls will hang out. (who wants there balls to hang out ya know) haha!
    I dunno why Fender is doin this newer gauge Bass VI set at 84 or whatnot, that's just too lean to go E-e on a VI.
    D'aadario always made that size so maybe they are just doing those. Either way I need the original Jaguar Baritone Bass VI Custom sets and nobody makes them!!! If anyone has any PM me.

10. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England
    btw - Joe Perry uses a .105 on his Music Man VI Silhouette for Back In The Saddle live.

11. KOLAD

KOLAD

Feb 14, 2014
    New England