1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Fender Performer Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Happy Face, May 26, 2018.

1. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Price:
    $1100
    Strings:
    Never heard of it? Many have not. Let the Wikipedia entry illuminate it.

Fender Performer Bass - Wikipedia

I bought it thanks to a posting on a bass player forum where someone said that you get the Fender bass with the slender/skinny neck of a Hofner.

It is just that. It's a Jazz Bass with a skinnier neck. And an enhanced treble boost on the tone control, which I guess is great for slap & pop and such.

It's not pristine, with a couple of blemishes on the back and edges and on the back of the neck. But overall, it's in nice shape.

Personally, I think this was the best color offered. If you play in an 80s band, you'll dominate the stage with this beauty.

Sorry, only comes with a brand-spanking new gig bag.

Trades: Only interest is beat up but structurely solid Guild JS-II or M-85 or a beat up thin necked Rickenbacker.

Or maybe a Hiwatt amp.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Respect for the Performer, and the short-lived era of design-forward building at Fender. These are cool!

GLWTS

Happy Face likes this.
  3. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That’s my Performer on that page, I made one of the first edits and attached the picture. I bought mine brand new for around $250. The music store was thrilled to unload it, they weren’t very popular at the time. I did some recording with it, but put it away once I bought a Ric 4001. I still have it, but don’t play it much. Great bass, GLWTS.

Happy Face likes this.
  4. Happy Face

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    The two comments so far are so cool. Thanks!

Spent likes this.
  5. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    These are great! Perfect for the resurgence of the ‘80s being revived by bands like the 1975 and others. Great price too!

Happy Face likes this.
  6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Rare bass, at a bargain price, from a great guy. Can't go wrong here!

Happy Face likes this.
  7. Happy Face

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks, Mellow One!

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Absolutely a great price. These were rare to begin with and getting more scarce, only a couple hundred ever produced, and very few ever come up for sale. Mine won’t be one of them. Having played and recorded with it, I find it a versatile bass. Definitely a piece of history. A rare opportunity, don’t miss out!

fuzzer and Happy Face like this.
  9. Happy Face

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    I cannot find the original strap buttons. I put them aside when I put on strap lock pegs. That aside is making itself scarce.

But I did find a vintage replacement knob I bought to replace the one which has no cap. It is more white than the others so I never installed it. But it will be included in your purchase.

Meanwhile, the $1200 OBO now includes shipping in the con US.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  10. Happy Face

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Price now includes shipping.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  11. Happy Face

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Sold here for $1050 shipped. A sick deal! Someone is going to be mighty happy with this wicked guitar.