Fender Performer Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sspear, Apr 22, 2019.

1. sspear

sspear Inactive

Just got one today with the maple neck. So I'm not super impressed. The jazz pup was not that great. For what fender charges I'm thinking of sending it back and getting a MIM Player for less money that might just sound better than the the cheapest american fender p bass. I'm not saying it's a bad bass but not worth 1200 just because it has made in Corona on it.

2. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I found if you dial the Jazz pup back a bit (to 75% volume) you get a fuller tone and that the bass really comes into its own. I also dial back the tone a bit as well. I like these basses. On most passive PJs the J will always be the weak link so I tend to use the J pickup to season the tone rather than play it solo. But that’s me.

The Player is no slouch so if you go that route you will still have a solid instrument. However I encourage you to play around with the controls before you pass on this bass. Hopefully it all works out for you. Nothing worse than a bass that doesn’t work for you.

Laurie Bass and BassmanM like this.
  3. sspear

sspear Inactive

Hey thank you for that suggestion. I’m going to sit with it for a few days and see how it feels to me. It has big shoes to fill. I have a 59 precision bass. Realistically I know it’s not gonna be anywhere near that but for $1199 Fender should have made it a little better in my opinion. The bass guitars made in Ensenada Mexico have really improved as you know. I had a 50s model which had the lacquer finish. I ended up letting it go. It felt a lot more solid than this performer model.

4. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Those 50s Classics were very good basses. Miss mine.