1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender pickguard worth the cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, May 7, 2015.

1. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I have a new to me Fender American Precision bass that I recently bought off Craigslist. I would keep the white pickguard, but, it has an ugly faded spot where a sticker was.

I notice genuine fender 'guards are upwards of $65!

Is it worth it to pay that much, or it it worthwhile to buy a, *GASP!* non-Fender PG for less?

I'm mostly concerned about the fit & that the holes will line up.

What do you say?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Warmoth has them with holes that will line up; they range from 30 to 65 depending on material selected. if you want to be able to adjust the truss rod, in place, you'll need to file a slot for the tool, as it doesn't come with that slot.

3. White Fender pickguards are the most common thing on the face of the earth. Why anyone would pay $65 for one is beyond me. Pickguards get expensive when you need custom shapes or exotic materials, but for something like this, it should not cost very much.

4. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I'm going to buy a tortoise shell PG. I'm just not sure if the non-Fender variety which cost as little as $15 are worth the price do to fit & finish.

Maybe every pickguard is made in the same factory? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

5. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I bought a $10 tort PG from China. Fitted perfectly.

Why pay $65 for a piece of plastic?

You just have to check the number of screwholes.

Am Stnd have 13 and MIMs 11 or 10 iirc

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I bought two from China on eBay for Squiers. The classic vibe P fit perfectly, every screw fell into place. Since the pg was made for an American Fender, I was surprised.

The vintage modified jazz took a little tweaking.

Both are beautiful with no issues of finish. It isn't a difficult thing to make a perfect pick guard but Fender charges like it is.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on the model. Telecasters have at least 4 patterns that are slightly different.