1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender pickup placement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanwin17, Jan 13, 2017.

1. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Can someone please give me a definitive answer on the traditional, pre CBS 60's, location placement for Fender Jazz and Precision bass pickups? Specifically, where along the length of the string, not distance from the bridge or neck heel. Assume where the A string crosses the bridge saddle is 0" and where it hits the nut is 34". I know this will vary slightly depending upon intonation adjustments. Center of the magnet for J bass and the intersection of the two splits for a P bass.
    Thank you.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why measure from the bridge with moveable saddles instead of the non-moving nut or 12th fret?
    If you're going to measure from the bridge, go from the G. It will usually have the least intonation compensation.
    Plus, as far as I know, the P bass and front J bass pickups have always been in the same place. Only the rear J pickup location moved over the years.

sanwin17 and Wisebass like this.
  3. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    "Definitive answer"? This is TalkBass. We are on the interweb. Surely, you jest. :D

gjohnson441496 and sanwin17 like this.
  4. sanwin17

sanwin17 Please mommy, you just gotta buy this amplifier. Gold Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Highland Beach, FL
    Don't call me Shirley.

gjohnson441496 and Chico Ruger like this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

+1. When I handed a bass body to my guitar tech to have a bridge installed, he told me he was going to measure it from the nut.

The only time I've heard of a Precision pickup's location come into question is when they're installed onto a Jazz body. And on that noteā€¦having experimented with a few, different positions, I like the placement of the Reggie Hamilton signature Jazz for my "sweet spot" of choice. :thumbsup:

sanwin17 likes this.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    E & A Half: 6.25" from the E bridge saddle.
    D & G Half: 5.125" from the G saddle.

My other Precisions are somewhat modified, with the P pickups in the "reversed" positions (D,G forward).

sanwin17 likes this.