1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender pickup with EMG solderless wiring harness?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vinnie Boombatz, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I'm thinking about swapping out the EMG GZR that's in my CIJ P bass, but like the idea of the EMG solderless harness. The pickup came with an extra quick connect cable which is used if it was a P/J set I'm guessing. Can I just cut the spare EMG cable that came in the kit and solder the ends to the Fender pickup and simply plug it in? Can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Should work.

3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Wireless? You mean "solderless?" If so, the answer is yes. I've done it, but I cannot say how easy it was because I if a tech do it. One of my BTC systems is older and uses solders instead of the quick connections. Maybe shop around for one of those?

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Sorry long day. Just got back from the dentist. Yes, solderless. I'm handy with a soldering iron, so attaching the quick connector to the pickup is no issue.

Bodeanly likes this.
  5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    It'll work. Do a "dry run" before dumping your solder. I say "dumping" because that's usually what happens when I use an iron. Good luck!

sbpark likes this.
  6. What value pots are you using? Most EMGs are active, and hence there will be lower value pots in the harness than you would want for Fender pickups.

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    GZR is a passive pickup. The pots are 250k.

8. In that case, the harness will work fine with the pickups.

9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Just wanted to update this thread. Took the extra wire with connectors that came with the GZR P pickup (my guess is it's the extra wire would be used if it was a P/J set), and cut it in half, soldered the connector to the Original '62 pickup, plugged it in and it works as expected. I still have the other half of the connector, and can use it for another pickup down the line. Took about ten minutes to solder. Anyone can do this if they have rudimentary soldering skills.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. If it's a standard connector you could get a crimping tool & connector & put the wires directly into the connector.

upload_2017-8-16_15-1-8.

11. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Thought about this in the past when I was considering trying out several pickups, but when I bought the GZR I liked their solder-less system for the install, so I just left it in there, and it's unfortunately a proprietary connector. But I think if I ever need more it wouldn't be too tough to write EMG and ask how I could purchase others. I've never had an EMG pickup before the GZR, but seems like they have great customer service.

Killed_by_Death likes this.