Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Pino P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Its new for winter '06 release

It looks like it could be a special P bass. Light alder body with straight grain maple neck w/rosewood board and a vintage fiesta red over desert sand finish is a killer color. Did anyone get a chance at NAMM to check this puppy out?:)

2. I hear it cost approximately one-billion dollars.

Seriously though, custom artist Fender instruments are mind-bogglingly expensive...

Either way someone mention how it plays, for the sake of this thread ^_^;;

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I wouldn't mind knowing either. Too bad it's Pink :spit:

-Mark

EDIT: What do ya mean a billion bucks! it's ONLY 4,500 American :p

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Pink is not a nice colour on a bass.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Three grand at MF, last I saw.

And, pink is one of the very best colours for a bass.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Is there any difference between this bass and any other Fender P besides the color?

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep! His pickguard is faded, leaving only a clean box where the thumbrest used to be!

That's it. Honestly, I don't know what the difference is.

-Mark

8. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    ......so a new color and a different PG constitute enough reason for another model?

Man, if Fender was making me a signature model, I'd want it to be the most stand-out, unoriginal thing ever, just for the heck of it.

I'm talking something functional and cool, but not the everyday run-of-the-mill thing, something like the Roscoe Beck model. Completely unique, nothing else really like it.

9. The differences are in the details. It's essentially an exacting recreation of Pino's '62 Precision Bass. The PP bass has a round laminated rosewood fingerboard. The finish is Fiesta Red over Desert Sand (a cool thing about vintage Fenders IMO) nitrocellulose laquer. The bass is relic'ed to simulate wear and tear. Also I think the Custom Shop uses quartersawn maple for their necks, which is not necessarily period accurate AFAIK. Most Fender Basses are flatsawn maple.

10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    And don't forget that it comes with TI strings! Surely that contributes to the $3149 list price! Jeez...

:rollno:

I dig the Pino P-bass, but for that kind of cash, make mine a USA Lakie Bob Glaub (in my choice of color w/o the BS "relic" treatment). I'm not sure what I would do with the rest of the cash remaining. Maybe buy some Powerball tix in Nebraska? :smug:

11. whoever's actually stupid enough to buy one of those is gonna get personally slapped with a tuna fish by me

12. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    God forbid it actually being a good all-around bass.

-Mark

13. Yeah man, a Fiesta Red USA Bob Glaub would be hot. You know I agree about the relic thing. Do they relic the frets too? It would suck to buy a "new" bass with fret wear.

14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Word!

:cool:

15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Does anyone know what benefits a straight-grain maple neck would have in comparison to a "normal" maple neck?

16. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have no idea. I suspect it's just some marketing hype to justify the price. I've owned some nice basses and none of them had "straight grain maple necks." I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in...

Just my $.02

:meh:

17. Yaowza!! I had no idea if was a 3K bass.

I think its a cool color for a bass. I kinda like it.

It should play like buttah for that price and it should be flawless.

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    if i won the lottery i'd buy this bass in a flash, but its pretty outragously expensive!!!

looking at a bit over $7000 in australia :eek:

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    $3k?
    [​IMG]
    does the FB look a little wenge-like?

20. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA