1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Pino Paldino P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the blast, Mar 16, 2009.

1. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Anyone have one of these? I'm curious what you paid for it & the general consensus on it holding it's value. I really like the sound & playability of it, just not in love with the fake "reliced" look. Currently trying to sell some prized posesions to get a new P Bass & considering this one.

What do you guys think? Any info is greatly appreciated!
    -john

2. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    I don't own one but sure wish I did.
    Had the chance of playing a Pino for 2-3 hours and A/B it with several high end basses and I just kept coming back to her!!! S W E E T !!!:bassist:
    Have been over a dozen good P basses and the Pino just stole my heart. I even started to love it's reliced look...:bag:
    I don't think they will hold their value in the short run same as old vintage basses do (but then neither would any other "recent" bass, IMO) but in the long run it might very well be a different story.
    How many used Pinos have you seen for sale???
    I think that mere fact speaks for itself !
    The Pino-P is probably the nicest P bass Fender has produced recently (again IMO).
    Wonder what these go for now that Fender increased their prices...:ninja::scowl:

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Theo here has one...

4. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    I played one briefly, was pretty darn awesome.

5. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Never played one, but this one sure sounds sweet:

6. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hopefully Theo see's this.

The one I played was ridiculously nice playing, feeling & sounding. I went and played a few vintage P Basses (70, 71) right after & felt that they didn't have that special thing that the Pino had. I just wanted to go back to it.

I'm REALLY considering it once I've sold a few things. If any of you hear what someone paid for a new one, let me know.

I bet w/ Fender's price increease, they'll be over 4k. Although, I looked at their 09 price list last night & the Pino bass wasn't on it. Hmmmmm.....

-john

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I tried one against some others pbasses in the store, and, for the first time, I told myself "Damn...., all the money I spent for the fodera , I could buy one of these!!!!"

then I came back to myself, but yes , the best P I tried.
    the look is cool, but not what I prefer.
    But from the feel and the sound, best pbass ever.

8. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I would love a non-relic'd Pino but I have settled on the AV P's instead. Much more affordable for me and pretty similar as far as I can see on paper. I "think" that one could be set up pretty darn close to the Pino for a lot less money but then I have never handled a Pino bass.
    I do love the Pino paint-job (fiesta over sand) though and if I had the cash, I'd buy one.
    IMHO, YMMV, etc.....

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It seems like it's one of those things that you want to buy regardless of the financial reality of it. In that case, beat the seller up as much as you can and take it home. Then hope it isn't a mistake.

I love P-Basses. If I had the scratch for a Pino I'd be looking at the vintage market instead. Or I'd look at a boutique bass (Lull or Alleva-Coppolo) that would probably cost half as much. But it sounds like you've found a bass that really speaks to you.

Good luck with it.

KO

10. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I have one. I bought it about 2 years ago in Bozeman Montana for $2700 new. Montana doesn't have sales tax so I got it for $2700 out the door. I love it and it does play as good as my 1964 P Bass. Here is a picture:

DSC03522. DSC03526.

11. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    sickest, smoothest playing & sounding, awesome piece of P bass I've played at any shop around town.

12. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    D Bop, that's great info. If I get that far, I'll use your info in negotiations hopefully.

The Boutique basses are great but much more hi-fi sounding than a Fender P Bass to me. I love the look of the Alleva-Coppola but again, doesn't cop the real P bass sound in my opinion.... at least from what I've heard. I feel like a lot of companies (Lakland) do the Jazz bass thing better than a lot of the Fenders but I've yet to have another company's P Bass do the same for my ears. Just my opinion.

-john

13. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    It actually feels much different than an AV P Bass.

14. 9mmMike

How so? I have not handled one but other than the finger board material they appear pretty much the same according to the spec sheets that Fender posts.
    Can you describe the difference or is it something I need to experience to understand?

The frets, tuners, pickups, nut width, nitro finish and bridge appear to be the same as do the bodies (except one is "select alder"). I cannot imagine that the Pino's are lighter than my '01 AV but I guess it is possible.
    The factory strings are obviously different but easy to change. I am considering TI's for one of my AV's actually.

I am not bashing the Pino-edition in any way. In fact I would love to have one (but without the fake mojo) but the price for his signature and custom color is prohibitive for me.

I wonder how much different an AV with an identical setup to the Pino-edition would really feel. Really, I do.

15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    The neck feels different for some reason. I think it's a little thicker. And it's also sanded down, like worn in. I guess you could do that to your AV too. I also heard that the Pickups are wound to Pino's specs. I have a 62 RI and also a 57 RI. I like them for different reasons. But the Pino has the deepest tone. Also, the finish is not as shiny and slick as a new AV. It's like a matte nitro that has been played for years. I'm not a huge fan of the relic stuff either, but Fender really did a good job with this bass

16. 9mmMike

Thanks. They say the neck is "quarter sawn". I wonder if that is part of the difference too? I will have to try one somewhere, sometime........or maye I shouldn't!

17. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    yeah, the edges of the neck are a little sharper than the AVs. If you ever come down to Atlanta you are welcome to try mine out.

18. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    more pics

DSC03525.
    DSC04420.

19. DIG !!

DSC_1267_resize.

_DSC3381.

_DSC3375.

_DSC3374small.

_DSC3373small.

_DSC4474small.

_DSC3391small.

20. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, the one I picked up, I couldn't put it down.

Thanks for the pics Theo-Cantor. The Pino bass is definitely the one sitting on the floor. What is the one behind it???

-john