1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Player Jaguar or Ibanez SR650

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manjo, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Manjo

Manjo

Mar 27, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to add a second bass and to step up a bit from my Squier CV 60’s Jazz. I think I’d like to try a P/J bass because I like the precision tone, but want the edge from jazz p/u. I’ve narrowed down my search to the new Fender Player Jaguar and the Ibanez SR650.

I have played the Ibanez, but not the Fender. I’ll have to guess on the Jag’s tone and rely on your feedback and YouTube videos. I really liked what I heard from the Ibanez CND p/u. And the active electronics were pretty cool too, but not a deal breaker. The feel of the Ibanez neck was great and I liked how light it was. I would guess my CV jazz will be similar in feel to the Jag, and I like it, thought I find it a bit heavy.

I currently play in a progressive bluegrass/folk band with acoustic guitars, banjo, mando, and fiddle. But on some occasions I play with some guys who jam in rock and blues. I use a Rumble 200.

So I’m Looking for some advice. I don’t think my local GC’s are expected to get a Jag anytime soon. I like the look of the Ibanez, but I’m concerned about the life of it’s thin neck. Is it wrong to think a light thin guitar won’t last as long as a beefier Fender? Thanks for you help.

Joe

2. Those CND pickups will knock your socks off, Ibanez!

This could have been a great poll.

stigbeve likes this.
  3. Manjo

Manjo

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks Killed by Death. I read your posts all the time. You always offer good stuff. I didn’t even think of the poll. Duh.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    To even things out I’ll vouch for the Fender. The player pickups are awesome and have huge range.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the skinny neck on the Ibanez though, unless your repeatedly hitting stuff with it.