Fender Player Jaguar or Ibanez SR650

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manjo, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Manjo

Manjo

Mar 27, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to add a second bass and to step up a bit from my Squier CV 60’s Jazz. I think I’d like to try a P/J bass because I like the precision tone, but want the edge from jazz p/u. I’ve narrowed down my search to the new Fender Player Jaguar and the Ibanez SR650.

I have played the Ibanez, but not the Fender. I’ll have to guess on the Jag’s tone and rely on your feedback and YouTube videos. I really liked what I heard from the Ibanez CND p/u. And the active electronics were pretty cool too, but not a deal breaker. The feel of the Ibanez neck was great and I liked how light it was. I would guess my CV jazz will be similar in feel to the Jag, and I like it, thought I find it a bit heavy.

I currently play in a progressive bluegrass/folk band with acoustic guitars, banjo, mando, and fiddle. But on some occasions I play with some guys who jam in rock and blues. I use a Rumble 200.

So I’m Looking for some advice. I don’t think my local GC’s are expected to get a Jag anytime soon. I like the look of the Ibanez, but I’m concerned about the life of it’s thin neck. Is it wrong to think a light thin guitar won’t last as long as a beefier Fender? Thanks for you help.

Joe

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Those CND pickups will knock your socks off, Ibanez!

This could have been a great poll.

stigbeve likes this.
  3. Manjo

Manjo

Mar 27, 2017
    Thanks Killed by Death. I read your posts all the time. You always offer good stuff. I didn’t even think of the poll. Duh.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    To even things out I’ll vouch for the Fender. The player pickups are awesome and have huge range.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the skinny neck on the Ibanez though, unless your repeatedly hitting stuff with it.