1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Player Precision Action Lowers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Teaakayyy, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Teaakayyy

Teaakayyy

Apr 16, 2019
    I recently bought the red player precision bass from fender and I noticed that the notes were going dead around the 12th fret and up after playing a while, and then I adjusted the action to raise it back up and it was fine. Then I played a show and halfway through I couldn’t hear my a string and I realized real quickly that the notes were going dead again. Does this appear to potentially mean I need to adjust the bridge via the truss rod? I’ve actually never had a problem where my string’s action would lower that significantly after playing for a bit, it’s only on my a string too.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    No, it doesn't mean you need to adjust the bridge using the truss rod.. It means you need to set the string height and then 'freeze' the adjusting screws; you can do this different ways. The quick easy fix is a drop of fingernail polish on the screw to keep it from turning due to vibration. The 'corrector' approach is to put a small dab of blue Locktite on the screw threads and then run the screw in and out until it starts squeaking. At that point you can set the height and the screw won't move but, adjustment is possible with no further treatment.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    One Way, Zooberwerx and Vinny_G like this.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I have been playing bass for 33 years, and not once have I ever experienced the saddle strews turning as a result of vibration.

mdalamond likes this.
  4. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Gallia Celtica
    It can happen on some bridges with some playing styles.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It seems to be a thing for some of the newer Fenders, like maybe the saddles/screws have looser tolerances for some reason.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Lownote38 and Zooberwerx like this.
  6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017

Yup - it's more likely to happen to someone with an aggressive attack...

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've never had this happen, but I know it does. I've sent and received basses where the saddles obviously lowered themselves due to nadling during shipment. I've never had it happen on a bass other than newer Fenders, though.

8. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    It happened to me with Vintage 62 Precision, with vintage bridge. After searching a solution on TB, a drop of transparent nail polish on each bridge saddle screw just solved the problem.