1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by klejst, Sep 26, 2017.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I was not sure if this should be posted here or in the "Hardware, Setup & Repair" forum, please move if indeed the later.

I was once told by a repair tech at Guitar Center that the pots used in Fender Precision and Jazz basses are pretty much the same Fender uses in their Stratocaster and Telecaster guitars? Obviously I know the pots in a MIA may be of higher quality as in a MIM but generally speaking and asking anyone know if this is indeed true or was?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Yep, 250 k Ohm for volume and tone controls. There's no sonic difference from "higher quality" pots, all pots with the same resistance will sound identical in a guitar or bass.

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the information. I was just curious if he was actually correct or just trying to make a sale.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Cheap pots are somewhat more likely to develop scratchiness over time. FWIW. YMMV.

Crater likes this.
  5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Makes since, I'm a believer most times that you get what you pay for. My 80's Jazz Special is going to be needing a pots replacement overhaul soon I'm afraid.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There are overpriced crappy components out there, too, so buyer beware! ;)

klejst likes this.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Fender uses CTS pots in both their US and Mexican manufactured basses.

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Good to know. I'd love to run across some pots similar to what is currently in mine and try to keep it as "true blue" as possible but I'd be alright with brand new ones too that are of superior performance to price ratio.

9. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I'm not going to take a position here, because my ears aren't as good as they used to be, but there are numerous studies and "A/B" comparison tests which indicate a significant difference between brands of tone pots (meaning pots used to control tone). CTS usually scores very well.

10. bumperbass

bumperbass

Jun 19, 2012
    CTS pots are cheap (a few dollars each) and get the job done. Looks like they've been made the same way for a 100 years.

11. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Gotcha. My bass is very much a players bass but also I'm not looking to spend a fortune, just buying decent replacements that get the job back to gettin' done.

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

From my experience, you seldom get more than what you pay for. But that doesn't automatically mean you'll get more just because you paid more.

There reaches a point where you get diminishing returns - and eventually no additional gains at all. The trick is to know where that point lies.

13. That's basically the reason that CTS pots are popular. They are middle of the road parts, but there isn't much point in picking anything of a higher quality, for most applications. Hence, everyone uses them and is happy with them.

klejst, scootron and 40Hz like this.
  14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Sure, I totally understand not everything is always what it claims to be, but over time everything will eventually diminish in a way or two. I was simply going by the fact that although perhaps not night and day in all comparisons but when you pay a little extra it seems to perform a little better as well as last a little longer because of more quality materials than a cheap counterpart...most times, not all the time. Thanks for the responses and suggestions.

40Hz likes this.