Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender POWER Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Yeah, i want to try the piezo out : /

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Is it the power of grayskull? Cause that'd be a bass I get on board with.

3. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    Hey guys. :)

Hasnt there already been a power jazz bass? In the 80's?

Im sure I saw a manual for it online somewhere.. Let me have a look...

4. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
  5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Hmmmm,seems "damn intresting to me

6. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

Not related to the new one featured on the link above, I recently won a Power Jazz Bass Special on the bay.. considering mine is about 17 years old, I'm pretty chuffed with it's playability. Whether or not they were a flop back then I have no idea.. but this thing ooooozes tone! ;o)

I know some rather well known names had these round their necks, so I guess they weren't that bad? ;o)

7. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    I think you might've won the one I was watching ;) If it is, it looks like a real nice bass... hope it serves you well! :)

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely not the same bass .... I have an '86 MIJ Power Jazz Special that I bought new, great bass, lots of guys here have one or more of them ......

This new one looks pretty cool, though ........ :cool:

9. Have now owned mine for 18+ years....and it's not going anywhere. It's played everywhere - churches, outdoors, clubs, orchestras, you name it.

Always a good player with great tone. Mine doesn't look mint anymore, but it always feels like "home".

Jay

10. DCman

DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    UK
    sorry heath - I'll try not to hijack this thread any more ;) but how much would one of the ones from the 80's be worth?

last question, i promise ;) :)

11. In reasonably good condition, went for 250-300 dollars before shipping. Of note, each one seems to go for a higher price. Japan manufactured to a very nice quality control level while producing both the Fender Jazz Specials (actually worth a little more due to their rarity) and the Fender Power Jazz Specials.

Jay

12. what was the MIJ fender jazz that had rear routed controls, kubicki preamp and fender/lace sensors?

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Are you possibly thinking of the Jazz Bass Plus? Not a Japanese-made instrument, but Fender's top-of-the-line Made in U.S.A bass at the time (early 1990's). It was the forerunner of the current American Deluxe Series. It was the first to feature the smaller Jazz-style body, and has all of the features you describe. Tuners were inline, though, unlike the current AmDlx 4+1.

In my opinion, it's the best bass Fender has ever made.

14. yeah thats it...ive seen two, exactly the same except one said made in japan on it