Fender POWER Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Yeah, i want to try the piezo out : /
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Is it the power of grayskull? Cause that'd be a bass I get on board with.
  3. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    Hey guys. :)

Hasnt there already been a power jazz bass? In the 80's?

Im sure I saw a manual for it online somewhere.. Let me have a look...
  4. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
  5. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    Hmmmm,seems "damn intresting to me
  6. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass

Not related to the new one featured on the link above, I recently won a Power Jazz Bass Special on the bay.. considering mine is about 17 years old, I'm pretty chuffed with it's playability. Whether or not they were a flop back then I have no idea.. but this thing ooooozes tone! ;o)

I know some rather well known names had these round their necks, so I guess they weren't that bad? ;o)
  7. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    I think you might've won the one I was watching ;) If it is, it looks like a real nice bass... hope it serves you well! :)
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely not the same bass .... I have an '86 MIJ Power Jazz Special that I bought new, great bass, lots of guys here have one or more of them ......

This new one looks pretty cool, though ........ :cool:
  9. Have now owned mine for 18+ years....and it's not going anywhere. It's played everywhere - churches, outdoors, clubs, orchestras, you name it.

Always a good player with great tone. Mine doesn't look mint anymore, but it always feels like "home".

10. DCman

Apr 7, 2002
    sorry heath - I'll try not to hijack this thread any more ;) but how much would one of the ones from the 80's be worth?

last question, i promise ;) :)
  11. In reasonably good condition, went for 250-300 dollars before shipping. Of note, each one seems to go for a higher price. Japan manufactured to a very nice quality control level while producing both the Fender Jazz Specials (actually worth a little more due to their rarity) and the Fender Power Jazz Specials.

12. what was the MIJ fender jazz that had rear routed controls, kubicki preamp and fender/lace sensors?
  13. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Are you possibly thinking of the Jazz Bass Plus? Not a Japanese-made instrument, but Fender's top-of-the-line Made in U.S.A bass at the time (early 1990's). It was the forerunner of the current American Deluxe Series. It was the first to feature the smaller Jazz-style body, and has all of the features you describe. Tuners were inline, though, unlike the current AmDlx 4+1.

In my opinion, it's the best bass Fender has ever made.
  14. yeah thats it...ive seen two, exactly the same except one said made in japan on it