Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender pre-cut Fret Wire

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lilvampboyx, Oct 12, 2005.

1. lilvampboyx

lilvampboyx

Sep 1, 2005
    Im thinking about trying to replace some frets on my bass..they have the small "vintage fret wire" and I want to buy Fender's set of 24 pre cut fret wire..has anyone bought them before? and where the frets allready dressed and require minimal setting up?? thanks http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/361347/ theres the link for the wire..
    :ninja:

2. Looking at the packages of it that I found on another site, it looks like it is 24 identical frets. They already have the correct radius, which saves some hassle and they're cut, which saves a little hassle, I suppose. The sides won't be dressed or bevelled (when you press, tap or glue them in there will be some overhang on the sides). Mostly though, they'll require the same amount of setting up once installed as if you bought uncut fretwire. The amount of setting up will depend on the condition of the fretboard surface (properly radiused and levelled) as well as how well the frets are seated by the installer. If you do it properly it could require only dressing and bevelling the fret ends and not any levelling of the frets.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think the thing about this pre cut fretwire is easier handling. You will still have overhang, as they are all the same length. It just takes the guess work out of bending it, which can be quite helpful.