1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision '57 Reissue (backplateQ)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryR, May 11, 2006.

1. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Folks,

I found a used '57 Reissue in blonde, approx year 2002.
    She's a good one. No dead spots, neck feels great, nice and light.

There are a couple things going on that I thought I'd run by you guys who know Fenders.

1) the backplate (s/n is V119xxx) also has a sticker on it. A circular sticker that for some reason I associate with Made in Korea instruments "CE". If it's original/normal, then the seller left it on (no problem). If not?

2) neck joint. On the treble side there's a noticeable gap.

3) back of the neck - the darker wood that's set in the neck running the length of the truss rod has an area (4-5 frets length) where it's not entirely flush with the maple. This is weird. I can't remember ever feeling such a thing on Fenders. Would it bother me? Probably not. Still....

Now, I'm a shut up and play kinda guy and again the bass feels and sounds good, has the vintage bridge, reverse tuners, raised A pole pieces, tweed case etc.. So should I (would you) be concerned about these "issues"?

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    CE means nothing more than it is OK to sell in euroland, europe that is, its frog speak for Community of Euroland says this here thingy is OK, OK?

If you are not in euroland, rip it off, yelling "take that Robespierre!" as you do it.

John Lemaire likes this.
  3. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    LMAO

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I tripped out a little on my '62RI not having "made in USA" anywhere on it, so I looked it up...

http://www.fender.com/support/dating/fender_us_dating.php

V + 4, 5 or 6 DIGITS (U.S. Vintage Series except '52 Telecaster)

So your bass is a USA made reissue, or at least the neck plate is.

Really, its the tone that counts, but its still nice to know.

John Lemaire likes this.
  5. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Bump for advice/opinions on Questions 2 & 3.

6. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    well, 2&3 make me think its not a good one.....

7. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If she didn't play so well 2&3 would've sent me packing. But, great sustain, the body resonates for days, no dead spots, etc.. I'm jonesing for a P and the price is right.

tough call.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like you're describing my '57 RI. One of the screws that holds on the neck plate doesn't tighten all the way either. But, the frets/neck is perfect as is the sound!!! I love mine!!! DSC00294_edited.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    On question #2:
    The neck pocket issue is pretty common. My early 80's '57 reissue P-Bass had the same issue. But it was the best sounding P-Bass I've owned. If the neck shifts from side to side, you can easily put a shim in between the neck and body. I think I used a piece of black plastic about the width of a credit card and it worked fine.

On question #3:
    My reissue also had this problem. I eventually had a local tech strip the nitro finish off the neck and sand the skunk strpe down smooth. Then he refinished it in tung oil. But alot of people would rather not mess with a nitro finish. Possibly you can find a tech who can refinish the neck in nitro it's your thing. If you go to that extreme, the tech can glue a thin piece of wood to the side of the neck to make it fit snugly into the neck pocket.

Something in my body chemistry doesn't agree with nitro finishes. They start feeling gummy once my hands starts to sweat. It also wears off of the body where my hands come into contact with it rather quickly. Because of this, I had no problem having the nitro stripped off it's neck.

All in all, I personally wouldn't worry a bunch about either issue.

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Rick Turner says the neck pocket being tight doesn't matter ... its having the screws tight that matters.

If its a winner, then work with whatever issues it has and rock on.

11. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Thanks alot guys for your humor, crack advice and general good looks.

I bought 'er. She is mine. I dialed 'er in and she's a singin' like a phuckkin sweetie-pie. We are one.

All these years I only played P basses then through circumstances wound up with none. That's all over now.

We do appreciate your posts.

xo,

Larry and Esmerelda

12. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    You know the rules; No pics=no bass :eyebrow:

13. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ok, fine. Here she is posing with some of her b_tches, gettin' all cozy 'n such.

DSCF0016-1.JPG

14. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Heh, I have been playing one of those off the wall at Sam Ash every time I go there, I love that look, esp when the ash stripes show through....and Rudy's had one cheaper!..hmmmmm...but I already have a 73 P, and I mostly play my jazzes...

Beautiful.