1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender precision '78 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jameswhat?, Jun 6, 2007.

1. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    do all fender precision basses made 1978 have bridge cover? i saw today one at the local music store that didn't have the holes in body for the cover so i'm suspecting it's fake... p.s. sorry if my english is bad, it's not my first language :) i just hope you understood my question :) :)

2. It might not be a fake. The 25th anniversary Fender Precision basses came with a heavy brass bridge similar to the Badass II with no cover. These were candy apple red with active electronics also. There were several models after the 25th anniversary one that had a similar configuration with no bridge cover. These had no pick-up cover either. If it is red with a white pickguard and brass bridge and knobs with an active switch and a battery, then it is most likely a 25th anniversary model.

3. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    it's white, without battery

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Pickguard might not be original....

5. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I have owned 2 82 P basses with S8 serial numbers both had covers. the Fender Precision Bass Specials have E0 Serial numbers. I have never seen a P bass from the 70s without them but we are talking about Fender so anything is possible.

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    My 78 P-Bass came with both chrome covers. They came
    with them but a lot of players removed them and lost em.
    Thats the way it goes for a lot of vintage Fender basses
    sadly enough when they come up for sale.

7. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I have a 78 and a 79. Both came with the bridge and PUs covers.

8. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    The basses didn't come with the covers (bridge or otherwise) installed. If I were buying a vintage bass I'd get the serial number as well as ask the store to show you the neck pocket as well as the neck itself. The body should have date.

WARNING! The serial number might be from 1978 but the parts can be older. Such as the neck being from 76 and the body from 77. Its quite common not to have the dates match. But if the serial number is from 1979 and the neck is from 1981 you do have a problem.

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    70s P and Jazz bass covers were installed at the factory. The reissues are not.

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Not really they are quite common. Fender used S8 and S9 serial numbers until 1982. Fender also used S8 and S9 serial numbers on thier Jazz basses until 1982 but those had Bound necks with dots, not blocks.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I went through the same thing with my 79 a couple months ago. It was at Sam Ash advertised as a 78. But all the 78's I've ever seen had the holes drilled and the covers installed at one time.

But after taking a look at the pots and pickup, mine turned out to be a very early 1979. And that is when Fender stopped installing them and just included them in the case. But they did include a pickguard with holes drilled for the pickup cover. So I believe the bass isn't a fake but I don't think it's a 78. More than likely a 79.

12. jameswhat?

jameswhat?

Dec 27, 2006
    neck is '78, i checked the serial number, but body probably isn't, that's what i'm thinking

13. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    I have two '78 Ps, both came with both pick-up and bridge covers. One poster surmised the owner may have changed the pick guard and hence if they bought the wrong one no holes for mounting the pick-up cover.

The SN on the neck should match the SN on the underside of the pick-guard, if its the original.

14. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    I have an S8 - I am the original owner; standard bridge with cover.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021