1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender Precision A/E Fretless, Exc. condition!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by John Bigboote, May 5, 2017.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    [NOTE: I've missed a number of inquiries about this bass because I seldom log into TB, so if you send me a message, please also TEXT or CALL ME at 5ohTHREE-2niner1-one18three! Thanks!]

Just pulled the trigger on another bass, sooo...

I bought this beauty some years ago, imagining warm evenings busking dowtown with an acoustic partner or three, but that never happened, so I'm looking to sell this gorgeous A/E:

Built in 1992 or 1993 in Japan, these have a great fretless/acoustic vibe with an excellent upright sound. Solid quarter-inch spruce deck over chambered body, two-piece GORGEOUS mahogany back. Original Lace Sensor P pickups, and piezo bridge pickup with two-piece bone bridge. Fingerboard is near flawless; a few areas where you can make out some faint string marks, but I've had LaBella Deep Talkin' tapewounds on her since purchase.

The tuners and their paddles are in excellent condition with no pitting whatsoever. I replaced the crappy plastic F knobs with nice rosewood knobs that match the bridgepiece and fingerboard. Klassy!

I shielded the compartment with copper foil, and added Bob Gollihur's piezo circuit (in the shrinkwrap visible in the cavity photo). The circuit matches the impedance of the piezo to the magnetic for consistent tone; IIRC it was about a $150 part. It looks like he doesn't sell it anymore.

The only things keeping this from being showroom-new are:

- The aforementioned faint string marks on the otherwise perfect rosewood.
    - Some swirls around the P pickup. I tried to capture these in the reflected-light photos. Apparently the guy who sold it to me didn't believe in trimming his thumbnail. You can only see these when the light is right.
    - And the big one: It looks like she took a bump on the rear edge of the back, below the strap button. The poly isn't cracked or chipped, but it looks like there's a void under it, creating a sort-of milky area roughly the size of a quarter (see photo).

Otherwise, she's in gorgeous shape for a 25-year-old lady, and ready to play.

Will now sell for $900 firm. If nobody wants to pay that, I'm perfectly happy holding on to her.

Anyway, I tried to do justice with the photos. Please ping me if you have any questions.

-john
    IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0190.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPG IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG IMG_0199.JPG IMG_0200.JPG IMG_0201.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  2. I can't find my kitchen scale, but according to Ye Olde Bathroom Scale Methode, the bass weighs under 8 lbs. She balances well enough; a bit of neck dive if you take both hands off her (as you might imagine with a svelte, chambered body), but if you play with your forearm on the body you'll never notice.

3. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Holy beautiful mahogany body.

John Bigboote likes this.
  4. Please note: If you have one of the basses I'm looking for, I would also be happy to talk about an all-cash deal!

-jb

5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    might seem like a silly question, but what do each of the knobs do?

6. Volume, Tone, Blend. T and B have notches at 50%.

7. basspedaler

basspedaler

Feb 18, 2013
    Wiltson!-NC
    I believe these have a TBX tone circuit, which is why the tone is notched.
    Kool bass, I would love to have it!

8. Apologies... when I said "notch" I mean a physical... um, I don't know what else to call it. Detent? I don't know! Something that lets you feel when you're at the halfway point! What the hell do you call that?

Anyway, it's not an eq-type "notch." Sorry for any misunderstanding.

9. basspedaler

basspedaler

Feb 18, 2013
    Wiltson!-NC
    right, detent works. not the old notched EQ reference. the tbx rolls off highs in one way and rolls off lows in the other direction, therefore at the detent is full on tone.

10. Yes, precisely. Thank you! You did a far better job explaining that than I!

basspedaler likes this.
  11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Nice. I like.

12. Great bass, I have one just like it, as well as its fretted cousin.

John Bigboote likes this.
  13. Price dropped to $900 firm!

-jb

14. Are there side dots along the top of the neck? Can you add a photo from that angle?

15. There are small side dots at the usual increments, but they line up with the notes themselves (not between the non-existent frets). I'm not with the bass this weekend, so no photos.

16. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Is this available? Real interested...in PDX too

17. It is, and since you're local, your price just dropped to $850, delivered!

Is that you with the -2549 number?

18. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Eugene
    Alrighty then. Would prefer to pay by PayPal. I’m in Multnomah Village area.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021