1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision American DeLuxe 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickebas, Apr 10, 2010.

1. I've been given the opportunity to buy a used Fender P Am Dlx 5 str from -99. As I understand this model is discontinued and a very special beast, which is attractive to me in one way. It's hard though to get some good facts about this instrument these days.
    I have never played or seen one so I was hoping someone here on the forum could share their experience of the instrument.
    How does it compare to other fenders or fender style 5 str basses?
    How much does the bridge humbucker take it away from the standard jazz bass sound, and does the five string P-bass pu' sound normal all the way down the b-string?
    From what I understand this bass can't switch the humbucker to single coil and also there's no bypassing the preamp in case of battery failure.

I'm a working professional and play a wide variety of styles so I need a bass with a broad sound spectrum but still my favorite basses have always been passive fenders.

2. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I have had two 4 string Deluxe Precisionsfrom that era. Both were very nice, fit and finish is excellant. I really like the downsized body and it's shape. The 22 fret neck is nice. The bridge pickup, in my estimation, is a different sound completely. Better or worse than a Jazz? That is a personal preferance. If you have to have a Jazz sound, buy a Jazz. The Deluxe Preciaion is probably my favorite modern Fender and they don't cost much more than a American Standard.
    Rocky

3. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    Ok. Thanks.
    I guess Im hesitant because Im not a big fan of Music man and this pu seems to me it might take the p-bass in that direction. On the other hand if the bridge humbucker gives a sound that matches the p-pup maybe it's a new combination worth trying.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It doesn't sound like a MusicMan, at all. The humbucker is fat, and relatively deep sounding, especially considering it's at the bridge position. These basses are my favorite fenders, ever. I also have a 4 string model, and love it to death. The 5's were discontinued a while back, and very desired, among it's fans. The active preamp is alright, and my 18 volt system doesn't drain batteries very quickly at all. In fact, they generally last 6 months or more. Great basses.

5. This was a '99 with the 9 volt preamp system. Do you know if that makes a big difference?

6. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    I'd love one too. Either a white blonde one w/ 9V electronics and 5L headstock or a cherry sunburst one w/ 18V electronics and 4+1 headstock. Man, who would have thought these would be rare to get this soon?

7. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    I bought a 2000 model new and still own it. My best description of it's sound is "punch like a sledgehammer". The bridge pu is more MM than J-bass. The 9 volt pre has never been a problem for me and it's very versatile. I don't use it to extremes generally tweeking slightly toward the bridge pu, adding slight bass and dropping the treble off a little.