Fender Precision American Performer: the best American Precision for quality/price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave84, Oct 18, 2021.

1. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    I have been the owner for over a year of a beautiful Fender Precision American Performer that I love and with which I feel great. Great sound, excellent construction and 100% US quality. However, I see that there is not much talk about this model and many seem to prefer the more famous American pro / pro 2. It is true that the American performer does not have the hard case and the bridge with the through ropes (these are basically only the real differences with the pros) but at the same time it has the advantage of being more versatile thanks to the PJ configuration in addition to the fact of having the same build quality as the more expensive brother.

I believe that the American Performer is currently the best American Precision for value for money, it costs the right but you get a reliable quality bass as much as the pro but more versatile. What do you think? I would be curious to have some opinions about it especially from the owners of this bass!

2. Franciscus

Franciscus

Aug 16, 2007
    Spain
    Hi,
    I have it since 1 month ago. Having an Am Pro I Jazz, I only can say I'm happier with the Performer. Yes, different basses but different prices too. The Performer sounds great (split coil with a bit of bridge, most of times split coil only) and I personally prefer the Precision neck.
    And the LPB finish is :drool:

murphy likes this.
  3. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019

Exactly! I also have the satin lpb performer and that finish is gorgeous!

murphy likes this.
  4. Oatis

Oatis

Nov 6, 2018
    Alabama
    The good AP I played sounded better than my 1997 Lake Placid American Standard and as good as my Highway 1 Precision . The new AP Precision is the passive Fender I would get.

dave84 likes this.
  5. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Apart from the bridge with the strings passing through, in fact the American performer is in all respects an American standard, the quality and characteristics (including the tuners) from what I have been able to see are the same!

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My first question, Dave, is how you gonna start a thread of you butt kicking bass and not even include a pic???? You know the rules.

andare, Nuage420, SoCal80s and 9 others like this.
  7. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    sorry
    Re

Sorry, remedy immediately

8. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    There are a lot of differences between the Performers and Professional II lineups. Whether or not they are significant to you is a matter of opinion.

Differences:
    Pickups (Yosemite vs VMod II and PJ configuration option)
    Tuners (weight and shafts)
    Necks (finishes and profiles)
    Frets (jumbo vs narrow-tall)
    Neck plate and screw hole patterns
    Body (contoured neck heel and matte vs gloss finishes)
    Wiring (Greasebucket vs standard)
    Bridge (Std vs high mass string through)
    HSC vs gig bag
    Price

In the end, they both seem pretty nice to me. Really comes down to preference and value in the eyes of the consumer. I ultimately went with The Pro II.

9. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    This is my American Performer 9F77660E-C5CD-4E33-A9B5-759304C5C47A.jpeg

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There it is. Noyce! All that and it looks great too!

murphy likes this.
  11. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks!

12. Franciscus

Franciscus

Aug 16, 2007
    Spain
    My Am Pro is a JazzBass but:
    I do prefer the Yosemites vs Vmod I. I swapped to Nordstrands in my JB after 2 years of use.
    I thought they were the same
    I like both
    I like Greasebucket tone. Maybe it is a bit early to say.
    I agree
    I hardly ever use the HSC :laugh: (I'm a Mono Vertigo guy)

13. Franciscus

Franciscus

Aug 16, 2007
    Spain
    Mine

910946FA-846E-4761-9BC1-A062DB0798DC.jpeg

14. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019

infact the tuners are the same of the american pro, pro II and ultrea

15. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Fantastic basses. I almost picked up one when they first came out and I test drove one. Loved it! But I made a different purchase instead at the time. No regrets, but the GAS never went away for me for this bass and I finally picked one up (new old stock, 2018) about 2 months ago. Gigged with it immediately (twice) and it sounded, looked, and played marvelously.

I love the Greasebucket circuitry and the incredible amount of control you have over the tone. I have test driven American Professionals, and PRO II's, which were very solid instruments, but for the money, the American Performer is THE bass.

P.S. Mine's the same color too. Love that Lake Placid blue and satin finish.

filmtex likes this.
  16. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
  17. Franciscus

Franciscus

Aug 16, 2007
    Spain
    dave84 likes this.
  18. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I think that's quite a claim. Fender have become very good at making sure there is something for everyone and I think many feel, like you, that their particular model is grossly underrated. I have an Ultra Precision and Jazz and could happily eulogise about them all day despite the rest of TB politely shuffling away. That said I tried a Deluxe Precision for the first time last week and and was shocked at the quality and sound. No it wasn't as sensuous as mine and didn't sound as rich but you could do exactly the same job on it just as comfortably for a thousand pounds less. Bet there are plenty of owners wondering why no-one's making a big enough fuss of that model.

OllyW and NEBADON2000 like this.
  19. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    thanks bro!

20. Really nice. love those Pjs. Have one myself and it’s going to the grave with me.

TrevorG and dave84 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022