Fender Precision American Vintage 63 vs the American Professional

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Migmatalkbass, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Migmatalkbass

Migmatalkbass

May 28, 2017
    I have the opportunity to get either one in Thailand. The used like new American Vintage 63 is about $1600. The new American Pro is $1700.

Want to play style like Jamareo Artis (Bruno Mars). Reference: Just the way You are, Brit Awards

Thanks

Attached Files:

faulknersj likes this.
  2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Both are great choices - will you be able to play either before making a choice?

Personally, I would buy the Pro - I like the neck better. But your hands are not my hands.

3. Migmatalkbass

Migmatalkbass

May 28, 2017
    Yes I can go to play them. May I ask your height so I can guesstimate your hand size?
    Thanks

BillMason likes this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Those 63s have the thickest necks I've ever tried. I'd go the pro.

5. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It's going to come down to personal preference. They are both lovely instruments. Good luck!

Migmatalkbass likes this.
  6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Lol I am 5’10”. Hope that helps.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    One of the questions you should ask yourself is, "Do I want a vintage-spec bass or a more modern-spec bass". They are comparable in terms of quality....this choice really comes down to your preference.

mellow yellow likes this.
  8. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    AV63 All day!! I love mine. Have an older MIA P that I like and will never get rid of, but the AV63 is special.

FunkHead likes this.
  9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I play an American Standard (similar to the Pro), and also a Classic 50s (similar to the AVRI ‘63, except maple). I’ve owned the Classic since 2014, and owned a virtually identical ‘57 AVRI from 2010-2017, and have owned a few American Standards before that. I personally much prefer to American Standard/Pro neck, but the Pro neck is even better than the AS IMO. I believe the frets are taller - there’s one at a nearby store that I keep visiting, it feels like it plays itself.

I don’t think my height will be helpful - hand size is independent of height, and the shape of your hand also matters - but at the end of the day, they’re both P basses and neither is going to be foreign territory for you for long, just practice it until you own it.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. Migmatalkbass

Migmatalkbass

May 28, 2017
    Thank you

11. Migmatalkbass

Migmatalkbass

May 28, 2017
    Thank you very much

BillMason likes this.
  12. faulknersj

faulknersj Inactive

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    The Pro’s are amazing!

Vote for Pro here!

BillMason likes this.
  13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Vintage profile Vs Modern profile.

For me, I choice AVRi 63 even she has thick neck profile. The closest for true 60 era pbass and this thing hold it own value better than Pro.

Honestly , Am Pro are over pricing ,but the Pro has better comfort neck profile and very easy fretting tall-narrow-fret wired.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  14. Migmatalkbass

Migmatalkbass

May 28, 2017
    I got a chance to try both the 50s and 60s original. Man the 50s was so awesome. This is probably my first time hearing the sound from the entire body of the bass. The sound was so solid and full bodied if anyone know what I mean. The bass resonates so well. The only negative for me was that the frets are too low it made moving a bit slippery.

Not much impression by the 60s. It’s neck was too heavy and thick

15. mikecd1

mikecd1

Mar 3, 2009
    New England
    I bought a new MIM player series Pbass ($649) because I loved the new, slim (front to back) neck profile and put a Fender pure vintage 63 pickup in it (ordered online). Love both the sound and the feel now! It was also lightweight (about 8 lbs) and also saved me a lot of money. Worth checking out if you can. Agree with others about the neck profile of the 63 which I loved the pickup sound, but also liked the American Professional as well which had a nice sound and smooth feel. Good luck!
    MX18108490-front-xlarge.jpg

Migmatalkbass and BillMason like this.
  16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Av63 all day. Killer sound, the necks are amazing as well. You dont need huge hands to play them, just practice and you can play as fast on that neck as anything else.

Alain Decont and Migmatalkbass like this.
  17. edit: confused Pro with Original and misread the whole discussion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    BillMason likes this.