1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision bass 19??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carolschultz, Oct 4, 2009.

1. carolschultz

carolschultz

Oct 4, 2009
    (Ps: I'm from Brazil and I don't speak english very well..but I'll try!!)
    Hi, my boyfriend have a Precision Bass of Fender and we don't know the original year when it was made. We send to Fender Brasil the serial number of de neck and the body, and they said that is probably that is a original Fender but they don't know the year. The serial number of the neck is 01032973 and 3175. The body have only number and none letter 2375. Anyone can help me??
    The headstock have a "fender precision bass" written but, in the basses of 1950 at 1987 none is like it. The "R" of "registration" is in the end, after the "bass" and in the other basses is after "fender".
    So, please, anybody help me??

2. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Remove the neck bolts & read the date of manufacture on the end of the neck,

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
  4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Good clear pictures would help narrow it down too.

5. carolschultz

carolschultz

Oct 4, 2009
    Hi, Moe, we remove the neck and the number that we found two serials numbers 01012973 and 3175. In another forum I found that the first two numbers is the model, the another two numbers is the neck, the rest numbers is week, year and day. But the Fender Brasil don't recognized this serial numbers.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
  7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    On an Precision or Jazz bass made in the in the U.S.A. the serial number will either be on the neck mounting plate, or on the headstock. If the serial number isn't in one of those two places, something is not correct.

8. carolschultz

carolschultz

Oct 4, 2009
    I'm not in my home right now, but in a few minutes I'll send the pictres of the bass, thanks!

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ok thank you. As soon as we get those we can tell you. Pics of the body wouldn't hurt either :D

10. carolschultz

carolschultz

Oct 4, 2009
  11. JaydeePlayer

JaydeePlayer

Sep 30, 2009
    As I understand it:
    01 = Precision
    01 = rose wood fingerboard (odd, as it''s clearly a maple one which would be represented by an 03 code)
    29 = week 29
    7 = 1977
    3 = 3rd day (Wednesday)

Greg

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Seeing how there are no patent numbers on the headstock, I'm going to say that's a replacement neck with a Decal job, or a refinished neck. That's not the original nut either.

The body looks to be mid to late 70's.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Does it not look like there is a serial number on the neck plate? And except for the nut and part of the decal being missing, the neck looks ok...the way the light hits the headstock and the gloss is kind of speckled, it does look like its been refinned. Could just be the picture, though.

I support the mid to late 70s theory.

14. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    My two 70's Fender's have the same position of the ®-Sign.

+1 for late 70's.

Gruesse, Pablo

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... but I bet they have patent numbers, and a serial number as well.

Something is not correct with those missing. Otherwise I'd say it was fine.

The hardware looks correct to me though. Sticking with neck replaced or neck refin.

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    JAYDEEPLAYER nails it!

17. carolschultz

carolschultz

Oct 4, 2009
    Thanks evebody!! I think that is a 1977...I'll send the peictures to the Fender Brasil and when they send me a report, I'll tell to you!

18. Roundsound

Roundsound

Sep 29, 2009
    Utopia
    The black pickguard showes that its 75 or later. Logo on the neck looks weird, but is accurate for 1977.

19. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    i was gonna say 78 just from looking at it but seems like you fellas have this under control

20. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Not exactly, the "R" sighn after the Fender logo is missing (it's only after the precision logo) and there is no serial number S7 ***** under the Fender logo and no made in usa under the precision logo...:confused: