1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Bass Lyte

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pandathe3, Apr 3, 2009.

1. pandathe3

pandathe3

Mar 3, 2009
    One of these basses has found itself into my local music store. I noticed it as soon as i walked in. It has P/J pickups, which have the Fender logo written on them, an Actice EQ (I'm not too sure on what each knob does). It has a jazz neck and a very light body, with extra cuttaway at the horns. The finish is a 2-tone tobbacco burst w/ matching headstock.

Can anyone tell me some more about this bass? Maybe a schematic for it, i was searching all last night, and tbh all i could find were reviews from harmony central. I know it was made in japan, i think around '85.

Can anyone give me an estimated price on this?

It is not the Deluxe model. Cheers

2. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I had one of these in the late 80s-early 90s. It played great, but I always found the tone a little thin for my tastes. Overall very nice basses. Sorry no schematic.

3. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    I had two of them, I have one suggestion, CHANGE THE PICKUPS! The tone is very weak, EMG's worked wonders for this bass. Another thing is that the weight is very light, makes for a great bass to play for hours. Love them.

4. punkrocko

punkrocko

Jun 18, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I had one as well. I think they came out in the early 90’s. Control are: Master Volume, Pickup Pan, Treble Boost/Cut, Bass Boost/Cut. I think the neck was the best thing about the bass, and agree the tone was a bit polite. I also concur with upgrading to EMG’s, big improvement. They seem to go for $300-$400 on ebay.

5. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    isn't that a Precision Special or something like that?

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    JimmyM on this board gigs with one. He put some overwound pickups in and apparently likes it.

Also, search this forum with the keyword lyte and you'll get 12 pages of hits.

7. I had a Fender Zone, which was the newer version of the Lyte, and I agree about the pickups. The bass was very well made and very lightweight but the active pickups were the weak link.