1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision cutting through the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, Jul 3, 2014.

1. So I recently bought a new P-bass (Classic series 50's made in Mexico) and I love it! I've owned other Precision basses so I 100% knew what to expect tone wise, But I decided to use it for band practice the other day and found it to be hard to hear in the mix, like it was too round. I was playing a jazz bass before.

I have used p basses lots but every time it was in 'quieter' bands. Now I'm in heavier band and found I disliked this sound I've loved for years (at least for this project) has anyone else felt this way?

I'm gonna keep it (obviously) but I'm disappointed I can't use it live in my MAIN band.
    Any one else thought about this?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Strings and EQ will help

Linnin, kesmit, AGH and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    EQ, definitely! And hit the amp hard. Drive it a little. If you can't drive the amp a little with the bass by itself, try a BDDI. In a heavy rock context, P-basses sound amazing with a little dirt and mids.

4. What he said... Strings and EQ.

AGH likes this.
  5. Yeah I love this thing for punk! And anything that isn't metal really.... I'll dapple with the EQ on my amp a bit
    Less low more high and see if that works. The strings are actually super bright, that's one reason I was so surprised.... Maybe it's the 50 style pick up

6. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I found the stock fender strings on a P are excellent.

Linnin and IronLung1986 like this.
  7. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you are using the B4R I would try raising those midrange sliders one at a time, in very small increments. Find a setting you like close to flat on the main controls and then start with the 120 slider and work your way across.

drunkenDAYlewis likes this.
  8. When I need a little extra with my pbass I use my Eden WTDI preamp, for me it does the trick.

9. that's all I use on all my basses! best sounding and feeling strings to me.

10. I always string my fenders with their stock strings

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The "pickup selector control" for a P bass is your plucking hand. The position, technique, and touch of your right hand makes all the difference with a P bass. A good in-person teacher can explain this concept if you are unfamiliar; it is hard for me to communicate it in words... a gross oversimplification would be "try plucking closer to the bridge (and turning up the amp) to cut through the mix."

12. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    Is this models pickup have ceramic or Alnico magnets? Ceramics in this case tend to be a bit mid scooped with harsh/brittle highs and/or sound very round when the highs are rolled off but can get lost in a mix. Good Alnico's however will have a more defined midrange presence and if its still getting lost in the mix the problem will point to strings and/or amp EQ.

13. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yeah, when i want to cut through i pluck right over the pickup, just rest my thumb right there on the edge of the pickup, and pluck with some authority
    if i want a smoother rounder and warmer sound i move up close to the neck...thumb on the corner of the neck there and maybe pluck slightly softer
    you can split the difference and dig your thumbnail into the edge of the pickguard right in between those two spots also
    it helps if your pickup will drive your amp hard too...
    keep the bass down a little, eq the mids up real high, i think i center my mids at 220hz and bump the highs just a bit

14. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Couple of thoughts. One is that what you hear isn't necessarily what the audience hears. It would be good to get some input from people with educated ears. A big +1 on strings and EQ. Last thing would be changing out the pickup. The stock pup on these bad boys is the pre-2012 American Standard. I found it hard to get perfect balance across the strings. I put in a Fender Pure Vintage '58 pickup. Awesome sauce! Really punchy, yet not brassy or brittle. Others like the Duncan SPB-1 (rounder), the Delano vintage P (more mid-heavy) and the EMG GZR (haven't tried). All IMHO of course.

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    EQ!!!
    Don't scoop those mids.
    Mids cut thru!!!