1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision deluxe 2000 is bad...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nepee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Someone here ever tried a fender precision deluxe 2000 or a jazz deluxe ? I owned both and they are death ... No vibration... The E string sound louder than the others strings ... This is sad... I will sell it ... You know how to get the best of it ?

2. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    If its not for you its not for you. Sell it and buy something else

3. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    I dont think thats it is not for mean .... I mean .... i wanted this bass, i like the sound of this hambucker but I am pretty sure that its not their best year? I wanted the sound of " so long and thanks for all the shoes" from nofx but ... I dont think my bass need adjustemen... I think that wood or neck or paint job make the bass death ... Have you ever tried ?

4. CORBS

CORBS Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Sounds like you need new strings and a setup.

5. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    I like the sound of flat string on a precision ... maybe a setup may help but it will not be enough pretty sure... someone here has ever tried and have the same opinion than me ?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was going to say ...

7. You really shouldn't make such sweeping judgements about a single make/model/year of a bass from one bad encounter. You could be cheating yourself out of a good bass soemwhere down the line.

8. Comme quelques autres, peut-ĂȘtre juste un bon ajustement et set de cordes peut surement aider la cause. Des fois c'est pas grand chose et un p'tit ajustement fait un gros changement!!!! Bonne chance!!! :ninja:

9. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    I got my bass back from an adjustment and there is definetly a huge dead spot between the E string and the A string that make the bass not sounding perfectly... I am not crazy... Il ove this bass and I want to keep it but I don't know what to do! You know how treating a dead spot ?

10. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    First off, if you are looking for NOFX tone, an active P-bass probably isn't the best place to start.

Doesn't Fat Mike play Danelectro basses?

11. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Yep Mike play with a danelectro bass live now but he recorded So long and thanks with a deluxe P bass back i the days ...
    sure its a deluxe P bass

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    That is one HUGE dead spot, which seems completely unlikely. I think you have a setup problem and you have some doing the adjustments that really doesn't know what they're doing.

13. I used to have the same model bass and NOFX are my favourite band. Mike uses P basses to record, but the album you are referring to does have a different tone...hmmm. Very jazzy and twangy.

14. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    yes I am sure Fat mike use a lot of bass to record or to play live anyway... I just want to fix that dead spot on my bass... I think that the adjustment is well done... what are my options ? Where the problem is from ?... Electronic problem or wood problem ? I still think that Fender didn't make a good job on my bass :p

15. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    if, after a good setup, string change, there is effectively a huge dead spot of that kind, there is very little to do...it's how the wood resonates, at a certain frequency. I heard that form a lot of folks here. I tried myself some specimens of the Deluxe series, not impressed at all with the overall quality and tone, but a giant bad-placed dead spot like this...well, hope you will find a solution, good luck. Maybe the experts of the forum can tell you how to manage the trouble (maybe some will say add/subtract mass form the headstock, use additional accesories etc.).

16. nepee

nepee

Feb 23, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Thanks Stratas...I would like to have more infomation about mass from the headstock or accesories from experts here but I don't know them :p I am not impressed by the deluxe series around these yearsk I owned a P and J bass...same problem for both :( I will try with a sound exciter like bbe sonic maximiser but you know...It will only hide the proble...
    the best would be maybe change bass :( I don't think thats it all fender american deluxe with humbucker has the same problem ...

17. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    I would like to help you better, but I never went deep into these arguments so I prefer to not confuse you with recycled and vague ideas...anyway, it's a shame...
    maybe you could perform an extensive research on the forum using the "search" function. sometimes the listed results are somewhat random cited, but I'm sure that somewhere this topic has already been discussed.