1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Deluxe...any years to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBart, May 7, 2015.

1. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    Have been looking through the local CL listings and found a 2002, was wondering if there are any years that just don't perform like the rest as it looks like the pickups were changed out a few times during the years they were made.

Thanks!
    Bart

2. Are you referring to the American Deluxe or the MIM? If it's the USA model, you probably know the older ones (including the 2002) had a P-Bass pickup and a humbucker, as opposed to today's PJ configuration.

3. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    Yes, I was referring to the US ones with the precision and humbucker pickups. I thought I saw somewhere that there were good and not-so-good years, so figured I'd ask.

I think I'd like the Precision/Jazz combination better but figured the humbucker could always be split to perform like a Jazz.

Anyone know of good vs. bad years for these basses?

Thanks,
    Bart

4. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Fender switched over to an 18v preamp from 9v in 2002 I believe.

5. I love those older deluxe humbucker p's. To me, the perfect union of a stingray with a P bass, even though some will argue they sound nothing alike. Almost pulled the trigger on one many times..can't go wrong.

6. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I have a early 2000's American Deluxe Precision bass and in my mind/view, the weakest issue is the preamp, if you acquire one that would be the first thing I'd do ... I changed my out to a Audere Classic and changed out the split pick-up to a Bill Lawrence P-46, as to the construction of the bass ... Fender's QC was kinda spotty in those years, so try before your buy ...IMHO

7. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    The benefit of a Fender for me was always that you find one that plays well and feels right, then the rest is fixable.

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Fender Deluxe P is perhaps the finest production bass Fender every made. The 18 volt pre-amp a problem in that the mid control alters the over-all volume of the instrument to drastically however, not a deal breaker...plenty of head room and eq points are good. The ax is very versatile and can morph between vintage and modern - covers P-bass and Jazz Tones and can move into Stingray territory. It records beautifully and sounds great live. Fit and finish on mine and several others I have played is top notch. You might improve the ax by replacing the pre, but in its factory state, it is an awesome bass. They are becoming harder to find all the time. People hold on the them because the are great basses. Mine is 2005 P5 Deluxe. It has been my #1 for many years now.[​IMG]

2cooltoolz likes this.
  9. I got an '05 4-string Am Deluxe P a couple of months ago and am really enjoying it. Don't know if it surpasses my passive Ps necessarily, but it's got a thing of its own, tone-wise. Mine has a beautiful chocolatey rosewood board with a Jazz width which is super comfortable. Abalone dot markers. Not too heavy. I like the regular body shape better, but all in all it's a great bass.

10. I have a trans teal '98 and its awesome.

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    They get really moody in their teen years...

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  12. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    is it difficult to modify the wiring to spit the humbucker so it's more in the Jazz bass tone range?

13. You know the newer like 2009+ Deluxes are just PJ right? they dont have the humbucker just a single coil J in the bridge.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I have a 2005 5-string. Had the same observation about the mid control that Dbassmon mentioned, but even with that it was the best Fender I have ever played. Recently replaced the stock preamp with a Sadowsky preamp. Made a very good bass even gooder (<--yes I know that is not a real word). Sooooo versatile. I just don't understand why Fender stopped making the 5-string.

15. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    Yes, Just looking around at all of the options

bass10bfb likes this.
  16. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Harrisburg PA and Washington DC
    Eschew Obfuscation
    Owned one of these for a while but mine was just not right somehow, there was some sort of odd harmonic that made everything on the G string sound out of tune no matter what. I finally sold it, but I loved the massive amount of sonic real estate that thing could cover. Talk about a do anything bass!!

17. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    Does anybody know about this by any chance?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  18. And, an active/passive switch, double-acting truss rod, and graphite stiffening rods, and the "Stealth" A string retainer.

I have both Am Dlx P, and J. Ash bodies, clear finish, and maple necks. Spectacular, beautiful, instruments. Very stable, requiring minimal adjustments seasonally. Excellent workmanship, and fit, and finish.

I like the P, (put flats on it) a little better than the J.

You cant go wrong on the newer ones.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    BassBart likes this.
  19. BassBart

BassBart

Dec 11, 2013
    i like the character of the single coil pickups and i like the idea of a precision split pickup getting a little punch from the j pickup, just have to see what the budget can support, we're moving in two weeks and everything we have is going into the move/house. probably in a few months i'll be looking to buy a new bass and get playing again.

thanks for all of the help