Fender Precision Elite 1983 pickup noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SilenceSewer, Jan 21, 2020.

1. SilenceSewer

SilenceSewer

Sep 17, 2017
    Hi dear talkbass!
    I have a little troubles with my Fender P-bass Elite.

The fact is that when I put my finger on the pickup, for support, while not touching the strings or other metal parts of the guitar, a fairly strong noise appears.
    If I don’t touch the bass at all, then there is no noise, it appears only when I put my hand to the pickup or touch it, without touching the other metal parts.
    The battery was installed by a new one, the guitar master made me a metal screen inside, but nothing saves me. The problem is very specific, the first time I come across this.
    Thanks in advance.
    I put a photo of the bass, in the photo it is on top. Sorry, there is no other photo at hand.
    Link to noise too.

Attached Files:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It seems like when you put some pressure on the pickup, you move the pickup just enough to either make, or break a connection that is causing your noise. You might have to remove the pickup and look for suspicious areas of contact.

3. SilenceSewer

SilenceSewer

Sep 17, 2017
    Thank you very much for your answer!
    But the fact is that it’s enough for me to even put my hand near, say exactly above the pickup, but without touching it. And the noise immediately appears.

About the contacts on the pickup. I was very confused by this photo.
    But the fact is that the pickup itself is flooded with glue and this protruding wire causes me concern.
    For example, I took off the photo and on the other hand, everything is neat there.

Attached Files:

4. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    I have the same issue with Seymour Duncan SPB-3. I thought grounding the poles will help but it didn’t. Your pickup is not with open poles, right?

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That noise, especially when it's just the presence of your hand and not actually touching it, is very strange. Are you wearing a smart watch or ring on that hand? If so, see if it makes that noise when you aren't wearing it.

The guitarist in my band gets an issue with static from his pickguard building up and when he strums, you can hear it through the amp. It doesn't sound like this, but if you wanted to try this, there's no harm in it:
    Use a dryer sheet to wipe off the pickguard. It will pick up the static buildup from the plastic. Not sure if it will fix this problem at all, but it's easy to try and the worst case is, your bass smells like a dryer sheet.

Having the pickups filled with epoxy is pretty normal, lots of companies do that, so I wouldn't worry about that. And if you have sounds coming from a pickup that come when you put pressure on it, there's a chance that a wire underneath could be slightly broken and either making a connection or losing a connection of some sort.
    But if it happens like that when you are just near it, a certain wire probably isn't the issue.

6. SilenceSewer

SilenceSewer

Sep 17, 2017
    Many thanks to all for the answers.
    Yes, you are right, there are no open magnets on the pickup.
    Photo of bass in my first post.
    No, I don’t wear smart watches or rings. Nothing at all.

Yes, in the photo that I attached in my second post, it can be seen that one wire was once torn and is now soldered back.
    But as you rightly noted, if the problem were in the wire, the pickup would not react like this to a hand held nearby, but only to the mechanical effect on the pickup.

7. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Do you have any sort of psychic or telekinetic powers that you know of? :D
    Seriously though, this is a strange problem. I'm not exactly sure what may be going on.
    If the exposed wire is an issue, you can always put shrink tubing around it, but I don't think it would do anything to change this happening.

8. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Well congrats on a great bass.
    Don't forget that there is a preamp circuitry and recheck the grounding.
    I had a buddy that had one of those basses and described the same type of issue and it was a grounding issue.
    Not sure if that will be it but worth re checking the electronics.

9. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    You have a hot pickup lead that is wired to ground.

10. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Check out my website with all the information, schematics of this bass:
    www.riverband.demon.nl/elite.html

A lot's of pictures of the electronics.
    Maybe it will help you, but as mentioned, check the grounding.

11. SilenceSewer

SilenceSewer

Sep 17, 2017
    Friends, thank you all so much for the answers, talkbass amazing community.

Thanks! I really expected that someone from the owners of such a bass model would write here.
    The fact that your friend had an identical problem is both pleasing and sad at the same time.
    I will double-check all the electronics.
    Thank you, in the near future I will try to take the bass to my friend who was engaged in the repair of this bass, I will ask him to re-see all the electronics.
    Before buying this model, I read your site very carefully five times.
    Thank you for creating this site!
    Tell me, I understand correctly that you had or have similar bass models in your possession?
    Was there a problem identical to mine?
    I apologize for asking so many questions, but this truth is a rather non-standard problem for me, I'm confused.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's a common problem, most pickguards are not fully shielded these days to save money.

Not sure if you can open up Elite pickups to shield them better. Never had that issue with mine.

13. TonH

TonH

Jan 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I started collecting them several years ago. Now I have 6 of these beauties.
    I never had the same problems that you have. But when I was experimenting with an alternative wiring for my artic white one, a ground wire got disconnected and that had some weird effects.
    So check all the ground wires and also the input jack.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021