1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Funk Albums

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksandvik, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Been listening today to the first Chic album and the Rose Royce Car Wash albums for hearing Fender Precisions used with funk. Any other albums you recommend?

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Any classic Tower of Power.

3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Nothing is coming to mind for albums, but songwise I know that Ps were used on both Patrice Rushen's "Forget Me Nots" and The O'Jays' "For The Love Of Money".

4. Oh cool, thanks for the suggestions so far. Sounds like Patrice Rushen's Haven't You Heard was also recorded with Precision.

I just need to figure out if DR Lo-Riders or something else is good for funk playing on a Precision. Need tension but also zing...

5. Paul Jackson of Headhunters fame used one a lot, though he did record "Chameleon" w/a customized/Frankesteined Tele Bass.

6. Hehe, played Chameleon last night at a jam, using my Precision.

7. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Why didn't I think of that? :rollno: Check out Jackson's "Black Octopus" album - pretty sure that's all Precision.

8. I'm using just boring old Ernie Ball flats (a .105 set) on a fretless P and it has lots of tension as well as zing. Very happy w/them and they've been on there about a year.

Paul Jackson is an amazing bassist and a SF Bay Area institution like Rocco, great players :cool:

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh yeah !!

:bassist:

10. I definitely want to check Paul Jackson out if he plays anywhere here in the Bay Area soon. Didn't see any info about that at his website.

11. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Robert Mercurio of Galactic uses a '62 P strung with LaBellas. Going back a bit further to Galactic's influence: George Porter Jr. of The Meters.

12. pondscum29

pondscum29

Feb 23, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Album-wise, check out The Best of the Meters and "We Love 'Em Tonight" by Galactic.

13. He's living in Japan these days from what I can tell but gets out here on occasion. I meant more that he grew up around here, went to SF Conservatory (!) and was a fixture in the scene here for many years. And like Marcus Miller, found that Japan was where he was truly appreciated, liked the culture, so there he moved.

14. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  15. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The first Brothers Johnson album Look Out For #1 features Louis on a Precision Bass. I'll Be Good To You is a great song from that LP. Bell & James "Living It Up Friday Night" also has some great P bass tones on it.

16. what was Curtis Mayfield's bassist using for "Superfly"? Sounds like a P to me on at least a few of the cuts, specifically the title track.