1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Galore!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sagaris, Sep 22, 2006.

1. I've just been to a gathering at one of my friend's houses and, soon after everyone had left, my friend's dad thought he'd show me a little something since he knows I'm a very dedicated Bassist for my age (15).

First of all he gets out an original 1973 Fender P which I'm fairly impressed with. Sounds fairly deep and has a cool rock sounding tone.

Then he gets out a Fender P Fretless Acoustic (?) which, had me a bit suprised; I'd never seen any of them ever before. I loved the feel of it too.

Also he got out a Mayton (think it's called that) which had unbelivable bottom end and very responsive pickups which were great.

Then he gets out a 1956 P Bass, which had me very excited since I thought the chances of seeing one that old again were small but he then carefully takes out a 1952 Fender P which just had me open mouthed! It's so hard to believe that something sounding so great, and an instrument made nearly perfectly first time round was made so long ago. Fender got it (nearly) right the first time round it seems.

Thought I'd share my experience.:D
    I'm still very happy.

2. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    I have a freind, who owns a vintage and rare guitar shop here in bristol, We are very good freinds, He has some Old fenders in his "School" collection to put his daughter through Uni when the time comes. I have dibs on Two of them. A 52' P bass like the one you saw and a 78 Fretless antigua p bass.

Cant wait :D

Before i played those, I never thought i would be an "older is better" kinda guy. Granted These basses were used and abused but i really do get why people go on and on about vintage fenders.

3. Yeah, from last night I learned that vintage ones sound as awesome as the newer ones. When I'm older I would really like to own one.

I still am amazed at how clear, defined and fat the 1952 P Bass sounded. I'd never heard one before and was expecting crackly electronics, loads of dents/scratches etc. But it was in great condition when I played, it felt and sounded very modern to me.

4. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    This thread is useless without pics :p

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021