1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision Highway 1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    What does everyone think of these? Pros? Cons?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I heard highway 1s were quite good quality
    but ive never played one

3. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    I bought one used with D'addario Chromes about a year ago. It's a keeper.

Plays very nicely, sounds great, looks good. Neck is solid as a rock.

4. I have the jazz and I love it. Very good sound, nice satin finish, it's almost the perfect Jazz 4 me

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    My H1 Precision is my main axe. It plays like a dream and sounds great.

It's kind of funny - I bought a DiMarzio pickup and put it in, but liked the stock sound better! So I sold the DiMarzio and am very happy with the bass. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Now the only mods I have are cosmetic. (Pickguard, ashtray, thumbrest near the bridge.)

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I considered the Highway 1 series for both Jazz and Precision basses. I ultimately went with the American Series, in part because I prefer maple fretboards, but I think the Highway 1models are very good. The have classic, resonant Fender tone, and seem well constructed. (I'll confess I was more impressed by the Highway 1 Jazz.)

The guitarist in my former band, who is a brilliant musician and very good bassist, always said he "hated" P-basses. He eventually gained wisdom on that point, and bought a Highway 1, which he absolutely loves for its deep, rich tone.

But some of the MIM/MIJ models around the same price are also worth considering. For example, the MIM Classic '50's P-bass is excellent, and offers a maple fretboard. And the MIJ Aerodyne Jazz has a P/J configuration with Jazz neck. You could also find a great MIM Standard P-bass (try several and find the best) and throw in a boutique pickup for about the same price as a Highway 1, which might not be a bad option.

7. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Why not!

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I played a number of Highway P basses and liked many of them. The quality varies from bass to bass as with all the Fender basses I've played, but seems a little more consistent than the American models I've tried. The sound is the classic P sound.

I liked the sound on the good ones better than any of the new American P basses I've tried and they were overall much lighter. There was one in a store that was so good I would have bought it on the spot if I had the funds available at the time. As it happened I waited too long and someone else got it. It was exceptional. It was also very comfortable to play.

I'd say, try some and if you find a good one, get it. I don't know how the necks stand up as far as staying true and warp free compared to other basses, but I haven't been hearing any complaints yet and these basses have been out for a few years now.

9. Whoah! They come stock with a badass now? I own one, my main bass, american quality, lower price. They sound good live and record well, the neck is amazing and the satin finish on the body is cool looking but be warned they wear easy (a plus for me, love that worn look).

10. WAYYY ! STOCK BADASS II ! EXCELENT!

11. I forgot to mention that the one I'm looking at is the "upgraded" version. It's about $800 street. The regular "Special" highway 1 model is $670. So, as far as I can tell, you pay $130 more for a different color selection, a 70's decal, and a bridge that's worth $80. This is why I'm asking if it's worth it, but I'm so in love with the idea of having a bass that comes stock with a badass bridge that it's probably worth it to me regardless of the price. *shakes fist at fender, then salutes*