fender precision jazz bass special: opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrWr0ng, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I'm in the market for a second bass as my band gets our stuff together for an album, and serious gigging...
    Right now my main bass is an Ibanez SR405 5-string with bartolini pickups and preamp. great sound, great feel, but I want something to have as backup in case things go wrong.
    I've had my heart set on an Ernie Ball, and i'm still lookin, but for the price most people want, i just can't afford it.
    I was at starving musician today, and they had a red Fender Precision Jazz Bass Special or something like that, it had basslines pickups, and a gold metal pickguard, it played really nicely, and it was only 300 bucks, but I was curious about peoples opinions. This might make a fine backup, but I don't know anything about it, so maybe some people here have experience with it?
    Thanks a lot
  2. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    precision bass special?

i got mine 2 months ago. i love it, plays well. but i'm also a beginner with very limited bass knowledge.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    There is a Precision Special and a Jazz Special (MIJ IIRC). I would think either one would be worth more than $300. The (J bass) Basslines pickups themselves sell for between $100 and $150. If you played it and liked it, I don't see how you could go wrong.
  4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I have a P-Bass Special with ballines & badass2 bridge. Sounds & plays great for not much money. $300 for one with basslines in it seems like a good price to me.