Fender Precision/Jazz Neck Sizes

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkzone, Aug 10, 2001.

1. funkzone

Aug 10, 2001
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm craving a P-bass sound, put my left hand prefers the thinner neck of a jazz bass. Does anyone know if a jazz neck will fit on a p-bass body? Would I be better off just getting a precision & sanding the neck down?
  2. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves

Jul 16, 2001
    chicago, il
    Yes, you can exchange most Fender bass necks, as long as you're not swapping a three-bolter for a four-bolter. People do it all the time. It's one of the handy things about Fenders. Sometimes people are willing to trade necks, straight up. That's an option.

The standard P-bass neck size is the B neck, 1.625 inches wide at the nut. The big fatty baseball bats are C necks, 1.75 inches wide at the nut. Fender Jazz basses come with a more slender A neck, 1.5 inches wide at the nut.

Note that the neck sizes only denote the width of the neck at the nut, not the neck profile, which can make various necks of the same width feel different in your hands. The J necks with graphite reinforced necks feel thicker [or different, at least], for example, than the RI necks of the same width.

Some P basses in the '70s were equipped with A necks as a custom option, I think. The Hot Rod P basses also have A necks. Maybe you should look for one of those. I think they're pretty cool. They also have a P/J pickup combination.
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The American Series Hot Rodded P-Bass has a B neck.

The Deluxe P-Bass Special has an A neck.