Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision "Lyte"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spanky, Jul 14, 2005.

1. I recently procured a (I think its a 1991) Fender Precision "Lyte" 4 string, Tobacco Burst w/Gold hardware.....I havent ever heard much about them until Johnette (Concrete BLonde) picked one up a couple years back and raved about its weight and playability. I havent even seen many around Denver or New Orleans....but I really feel like I lucked out, this axe is AMAZING! To my ears, it packs all the punch of the "P", I can dial in the "thwack" of the "J", and the neck is comparable to a Jazz and is really fast. I have a hard time hitting a bad note on this thing, and it is very kind to the neck and back during those extra long gigs!

Anyone else play/own one? Id love to hear more about them...all I really know is that it is a Japanese made bass and the quality/craftsmanship seems to be really good.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. i just bought one, just waiting for UPS to get it to me. hopefully they're good

3. If yours is as good as mine turned out to be you are gonna be one happy slapper, man! Let us know what you think when it comes!
    Not to be out of line, but how much did it run you?
    I had a mountain bike that a guy wasnted real bad, and he had this bass....Id love to find out what it is worth, but I felt like I was getting the far better end of the deal...(straight across and it came with a hardshell case).
    I love those rare deals!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yup, it was my first "decent" bass. From memory I bought it in 1987 or 1988. Actually I owned 2. The first one was bright cherry red and was stolen out of my car. My insurance company supplied a new one, and it was the tobacco burst. I sold that one when I decided I needed a 5 stringer.

Back then, active electronics were fairly new in Australia. There were only a handful of basses available with active electronics and the P Bass Lyte was one of them. I remember it having a very punchy sound and being an excellent bass for slapping. At the time I was playing weddings on a regular basis so it also had to be warm enough for the jazz standards and the compulsory ballads. So it was quite versatile.

It had a narrow neck, but not as narrow as the Ibanez I bought to replace it. And it weighed next to nothing. Overall it was a good bass. It certainly serviced me well at the time.

It would be interesting to get my hands on one now and see if I still like it. It would give me an idea of how much my tastes have changed over the years, if at all.

5. eddie f

eddie f

May 25, 2005
    man i love mine. too bad i have to sell it to pay off my euro 4. strange thing is that mine has passive pickups in it. i havent seen another one with those. if i knew how to post pics i would put her on here.

6. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Carol Kaye played one
    :bassist:

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used to have one and really liked it. Really lightweight, good feeling Jazz neck, sounded good. I let a friend talk me into selling it to him during a period when I was playing 5 string exclusively. I regretted it, and ended up buying a Fender Zone to replace it. The Zone is a newer version of it.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got one that's the same color and year (sunburst). I love that little bass. To echo what some have said, it's small, and very light. It's great for long gig's.

The neck is very, very slim. Slimmer than any Jazz neck I have ever played. I really like the PJ config as well. Only problem I have ever had has been an ongoing/continual problem with the electronics. I switched out the pre to a Bart NTBT and still it drains the battery a lot more quickly than it should. The stock p-up's are probably the problem and I'll be swapping them out soon. I never did like the low output of the stock pickups but aside from the electronics being pretty lame, the feel and playability of the P-Lyte is amazing.

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I picked one up off of EBAY about a year ago.
    It's over 10 years old and I think I'm the second owner. The gig bag it came in had the original sales reciept and a bunch of extra goodies and the oringal Fender documention for the bass.

It's funny you mention Denver because that is were the bass was first purchased if I rember right.

When I received the bass it was dusty like it had sat in a closet for most of it's life. After I cleaned it up, it looked almost, and I mean almost, like new. Mine has a purple burst with gold hardware.

Anyways, it is a nice bass. Has a good variety of tones (nice slap tone) and nice playability, and as mentioned before it is a pretty light bass.

Congrats on your purchase Spanky.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ahh, I forgot about that. I didn't think anything of it when I owned the bass, but switching to the Ibanez initially and later to a Stingray, I was surprised that both basses got a lot more out of a 9V battery than the "Lyte" did. I actually found myself changing batteries on the new bass even though it didn't need it, but the little voice inside my head kept saying "gee it's been a while. The Fender would surely have needed a battery change by now."

I also forgot about the Gold hardware. It was a nice touch and I believe it was standard. It did however make it that little bit harder to find a Hipshot de-tuner to match. I did get one eventually.........

11. I think I can live with a frequent battery change....I never let the one in my Ibanez run all the way down anyhow...guess it's one of my obsessive compulsive things, lol...but I always preferred to err on the side of caution with these little tech quirks before a gig...so, itll be the once a month battery change whether it needs it or not, lol. (or is it so bad I should make it every 2 weeks? hehe) Ive had it that long and so far so good.

12. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Just got this P-bass Lyte off of eBay.

I've been looking for a P or PJ config'd bass, and was looking at Arias from the late 70s/early 80s.

The P-bass Lyte I got on eBay has the following:

graphite nut
    Gotoh tuners
    EMG pickups

I know the EMG pickups aren't stock, but what about the tuners and nut?

Attached Files:

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't remember mine having a graphite nut or Gotoh tuners. I'd say they're also part of the previous owner's tinkering.

Nice colour. I like the dark purple flame maple. Looks much better than my red one did.