Fender Precision Mexico (once again)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Mar 19, 2006.

1. johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005

I'm looking forward to buy a Fendere Precision (Mexico; you know.. the same old problem.. money..), because I need something more "vintage" and classic for my band :help:

I already own two active basses so .. I decided to upgrade my gear with a passive one

so I'm asking you if further upgades such a (for example) basslines pickup or another one.. whatever... and a new bridge (badass) will take this bass to the "next level" and make it sound like an American Bass :eyebrow:

Here in Slovenia, where I live, there are no Japanese basses...and even in the near Italy there are only a few and they are highly overprized (most of all I think because of the tax import prizes) :crying:

I've read a lot of threads about Fender Precisions before deciding to make this one... the threads were most of all about opinions over Japanese or American basses wich.. for the reasons explained above I can not afford.

So, I hope that someone can help me and I'm thanking you very much...
    I'm willing to try even other manufacturers that make a "look a like" precision bass.. but only if it's worth the money... :)

P.s. I'm sorry for my English

ROCK ON :bassist:
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Making a mexican bass sound like an american bass? ... 99.999% of the population of this world cannot tell a difference between the two. I've had people claim they could, and they couldn't. Mostly the reason USA Fenders are better quality than the mexicans, is because of the quality of the workmanship. The USA feel better than the mexicans, You will very rarely find any blemishes at all or "shortcuts" on a USA bass. This is very subjective though. One of my instructors has been playing for over 30 years. He likes the Mexican Fenders more than the USA Fenders. It is all a matter of opinion.
    I don't know how much the usual Mexican Fenders are in Slovenia. but if you are looking to save a lot. Look into SX basses. In my opinion, same quality of a mexican Fender for a fraction of the price. Of course upgrading the bridge and pickups will be beneficial to the bass, it usually is. But if you want it to "sound" like an American bass... You don't really need them.
  3. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    For $50000-70000 Tolars you could get a used or new Mex P bass.

I do not think changing anything on the bass other than pickups will make much of a difference.
  4. johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Thank you very much AerospaceGuy....

my comparision with Am and MEx basses was most of all related to... "can I get a good P bass sound out of a MEx P bass"?! :) using the Am P-bass as a standard.. :)

thank u once again
  5. johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    ashton: I don't think so..
    the prices are...

80-90.000 tolars..

wich I can't afford right now... but hopefully by the summer I would.. :)
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    a new bridge will add lots of sustain, shielding is good, also getting some straplocks(very important.)

as for the "making it sound like a american fender thing", i agree with aerospace guy, i played with my school a few weeks back, the first thing they said when they saw my bass was "hey you have a fender", so i said "yeah its a mexican one". then then looked completely confused and said "whats that got to do with it?", then i proceeded to tell them about MIM, MIA and MIJ. so most non-bassists wont know the differance, and if your in a band situation, your technique will be more important than where your bass was made