1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision MIJ 1988

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeanBG, Apr 19, 2010.

1. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Hi everybody,

I have the upportunity to buy a 1988 precision MIJ for a reasonable price (I guess). Now I would like to know if someone has any experience with MIJ precision from the late '80s. Are they any good?
    I can't test the bass, that's why I am asking you guys for some help :help:
    I'm just looking for a decent precision bass to add to the collection. If the bass sounds good with a pickup upgrade I just might change it. ;)

pictures: http://verkopen.marktplaats.nl/photopopup/338262054/8

Thanks!!!!

2. I purchased a 89 MIJ P bass from the USA and shipped it to Australia a couple of years ago (see my Avatar pic) obviously I never saw it in the flesh, and never played it b4 purchase. It had been upgraded with a Bad Ass II bridge and a Lindy Fralin Pup. It is the cheapest bass I own but it by no means the bottom of the pile.

Go for it I say.... ;)

3. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Ok thanks, guess I'm going for it then :bassist:
    Should have it by the end of the week, will report back on how it sounds and plays. Can't wait :hyper:

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    yeah they're made great. 80's MIJ rivals the MIA stuff of that period.

Lindy Fralin makes a killer P bass pickup for like $120. I'd recommend it if you don't dig the tone of yours.

5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I've had a couple of mid-late 80's MIJ P-Basses... All of them were great! Nice neck profile, great fit and finish. I also have Fralin's in both of my P-Basses. My 'current' favorite :D