1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fender precision/musicman stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Letterbombed, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    i mostly play pop-punk, and i'm not really sure which to go with. i love the growl that the fender precision makes with duncan pickups, but the stingray is just all around amazing.

problem: cash flow isnt quite to the point i can just spend 1300 on a stingray. does anyone know how good of a job OLP's version of it is?

2. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    The Stingray has its own growl that can not be mistaken for anything else. :) Just sayin'.

3. i heard that the MusicMan SUB's are pretty good and can be bought (used) for pretty cheap. they usually go for around $300-600 on ebay. they are pretty stripped down though from what the regular stingray is but the sound is still there.

i heard that the olp's are pretty nice but you have pick the right one. kinda like how squier is. :D

i say..
    save up for a stingray so you can get it in your color/feature choice.

i see a lot of pop-punk bassists using p-basses but their usually the ones who play straight eight notes.

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Is used Stingray an option? They go for considerably under $1,300. Either that or get a SUB. OLPs are not very consistent, but they can be decent if you get the right one. I am interested in trying the new multi-p/u OLPs, but since I haven't yet I can't recommend them.

5. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    Yea, see, the thing is, as of right now, i cant really spend that much money for a stingray. my bands lookin up and there is a possibility of getting signed so endorsement is pretty close as well.
    id like a general sense of the tone im going for before it gets there though.

i play a lot of abstract stuff as well as open 8th notes, and thats why im thinking the olp mm2 cuz im poor as hell right now. its either that or the vintage squier precission... as it looks right now

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The OLP will leave you wanting more and has almost nothing in common tonally with the Stingray. Either a real Stingray or a Precision would do the trick for you. I've played that music with both and have had no ill-effects.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd get a Precision because it sounds great and you can get a good one for considerably cheaper than $1300, but I'm with the guys who say to get a good used MusicMan if you want one instead.

8. Hey dude, where are you located, what is your band called? I love pop-punk.

9. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    we're form north easter pennsylvania. we plan on changing the name, but as of right now its The Clock Says Yesterday

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Buy a used MIM Fender P. $200-250, looks like a $1000 MIA Fender and sounds almost as good.

I play one with flats on most gigs for a few songs and it sounds/looks great.

11. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    never even heard of that, dude....

12. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You have never heard of a Precision bass that is made in mexico???

13. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    +1 on a MIM Fender. They are quite good for the price and if money is really tight, a used MIM Pre is definately the way to go.

You will have a functional, good sounding and playing instrument that no one will be able to tell is not a USA version unless they are really looking.

After that, save for a Music Man!

14. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    sorry, im used to people just calling them standard... i dont know, im playing a fender jazz right now and thats why im thinking of changin up the name brand and goin olp because its just so much cheaper

im goin to guitar center saturday, so i'll take all of your ideas into consideration. thanks

15. Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Changing up the name brand might not be a bad idea, but here is what you do.

If you are thinking OLP, play every one they have. Pick the one that sounds and plays best. Play every standard P-bass they have and pick the best one out. Anything else you are thinking about in the price range, play them all and pick the best individual one out. (Hopefully, they have are than 1 of all these basses around) Then, when you have 3-4 of those "best" basses assembled, try them all back to back (OLP vs Fender vs whatever). Pick the one that does it for you. There are a lot of nice, inexpensive basses out there but definately need to do some sampling to get the most for your money.

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Whats wrong with the Jazz? I play the same kind of music as you and use both a Ray and precision, but I want to add a Jazz. Just curious if theres something you dont like about the Jazz that makes you want the P or Ray, or is it just time for a new bass?

17. Letterbombed

Letterbombed

Aug 15, 2007
    NEPA
    theres nothing wrong with it. i use it in another band im in.
    1. i just want to switch it up
    2. it's not quite the punk tone im going for. i want a bit more of a growl that i dont feel like i get in the jazz bass