1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Precision neck on a Squier Affinity P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevor Smith, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Trevor Smith

Trevor Smith

Nov 28, 2018
    I am going to be modifying a Squier Affinity P Bass and it needs a new neck. I know of some who say I should just buy a new bass, but I want to have the opportunity of customizing it the way I want it and for it to be a one of a kind. So, instead of replacing it with another Squier neck, I want a Fender neck installed. I figure the neck cavity on the body will have to be enlarged. The only thing I wish for is that there are actual Fender P Bass necks already made with a skinnier heel so that I will not have to do any carving. Also, what do you think of installing white EMGs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I picked up an Affinity P bass in a trade deal today, so I’ve been searching the forum for info...

...from what I read, the neck pocket may be cut deeper than a standard Fender body, which means a neck swap would require a shim. I can’t confirm any of this though, just passing along the info.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Just get the neck and swap it.

4. I've just modded my affinity. I ended up using a peavey neck, never tried a fender neck but:
    -my neck pocket seems to be exactly 2 1/2". The peavey was a touch small, and I just shimmied it.
    -the majority of forums I ran across said they are an even swap.
    -a few forums mention if anything, squier pockets and necks will be bigger. I know I tried some fender screws (pick guard, bridge) and saddles, and the squier hardware is a Tiny bit bigger (conversion from imperial to metric)...... so I think you will more likely need a shim, than needing to widen the pocket.

Anyway, excited to watch what you come up with! You're Not putting a J neck on there by chance?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Texican likes this.
  5. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    This may be of no help, but I put an Affinity Jazz V neck on a MIM Jazz V. I ended up putting two layers of pick-guard material to get it where it needed to be. :)