Fender Precision Neck Profile

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Atlanta, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Can anyone tell me the difference between the various neck profiles on a Fender P-bass? Also, does anyone know the history of what years that the particular profiles (i.e, A, B, C, etc) were used.

I'm looking for a P-Bass, but I prefer the smaller necks like the Jazz. So I want to be sure of the lingo before I buy. I'm especially interested in the 2001 50th Anniversary P-Bass, which I'm fairly sure has a 1-9/16" neck at the nut. I think this corresponds to the "B" profile, but I need some help here.

Also, if anyone knows where I could find one of these, I would appreciate some direction. There was one on eBay last week, but he closed the auction early. :crying:

Thanks in advance.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't know during which years, what necks were used, but the Jazz heel is the same as a P heel, so the necks are interchangable.

Just another option for you.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Fender necks.
    A-1 1/2 at the nut- like Jazz bass
    B-1 5/8 at nut
    C-1 3/4 at nut standard P-Bass.
    D- Boat neck, thicker neck, more wood back of neck.

4. Thanks, guys. That answers my questions.

Best regards,

5. contrabassie

Mar 11, 2003
    What's a U shaped neck profile if you compare it to the list above? Ishibashi is talking about that when it comes to their 62 reissue precision bass.
    Do these necks play comfortable or can I better take a 70 reissue with a thin neck.
  6. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Question: The current MIM Fender Deluxe Active P with P/J pickups has a nut width of 1.5", yet its profile "neck shape" is listed a "Modern C-shape." Is this contradictory?
  7. 73jbass

Apr 17, 2004
    1 5/8" is the standard. the 1 3/4" is what the 57 reissue and road worn series is based on.
  8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Factory nut width codes (ABCD) have nothing to do with the description of how the curve of the back of the neck feels. The backs of the neck are described as feeling like a C or U or V.

Other than the 57/62 reissues, none of the 'modern' models have C width necks (1-3/4"). But the back curve of the neck can 'feel' like a shallow C.