1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision necks, differences

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bjabass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    OK just because I'm curious, lazy and love to drive the 'do a search' crowd nutz (love to drive the spelling crowd nutz too...)
    just exactly what are the differences in P necks?...

You know, an "A" neck, a "B" neck and more if there are any.

Edit: My 1st P (1972) had what was advertized as a 'Custom Taper' neck which I believe to be a Jazz neck. When it was stolen I replaced it with a MIJ reissue bass that had what I call a 'baseball bat' neck....

2. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Guess anybody who knows the answer is IN the do a search crowd or the spelling crowd huh?

3. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    As far as I recall, an A neck is a Jazz neck, a B neck is 1 5/8 and a C neck is 1 3/4.

A modern neck is 1 11/16, I believe.

This is just from my memory.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Correct, but note those are only nut widths, they don't describe the profile of the curve. Confusing matters, a neck described as "C shaped" or "modern C profile" may have any of those three nut widths. C nut =/= C profile.

5. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Well for the purpose of my original question, the 3 nut widths was the answer I was looking for. I have put J necks on my two P basses because my original was closer to the J.

I guess that means it was an "a" neck.

Funny, I almost exclusively play my Precisions, but don't qualify for the Precision owners group here because the necks are not original. One is a Warmoth and the other a Mighty Mite.

BTW the Warmoth was bought as a J neck but is closer to the "b" width listed above. The Mighty Mite is truly a 1 1/2 inch nut.

Thanks for the replies guys....

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    All the new Standard/Special/Deluxe Precisions are all B-width 1 5/8" necks.

Classics and Vintages are C-width 1 3/4".

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo MusicMan & Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA.
    I've wondered about all this for years. Thanks for clearing this up, guys! (subscribed)

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My 1987 Jazz Bass Special (P/J) is 1-1/2", in case anyone wants to know. Jazz neck with a 7-1/4" fingerboard radius on a P body. Played a '65 P last week with a 1-3/4 width. Hated it for that width. I know some folks like that, but it just ain't for me. The Mike Dirnt signature Precision Bass is 1.59 at the nut. I'd like to try that. It also has what they call a "thick C shape" neck profile. I bet I'd like that, too.

Really, the main reason I don't have a Precision is due to the wide nut.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    That's the same reason why I've always avoided P's, and why I've limited myself to investigating things like the P-Bass Special Deluxe or Duck Dunn Lakland, because they have the 1.5" nut.

Then I tried a few 2012 Precisions - MIM and MIA - and the necks are NOTHING like what the old late 80's P at my high school had. They're still not as skinny as a Jazz, but they're only a little bit wider and with the "modern C" profile they're exceptionally comfortable.

I've been a Jazz guy my whole life, but my next bass will be an MIA P.

10. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    [almost off topic]
    If anyone spends some time on a guitar, they may find that the neck width differences between a P and a J won't bother them that much. (Assuming they are not suffering from medical issues or something that limits them physically.)
    [/almost off topic]

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    There were some P basses made in the 50s with stamped "D" necks. 1 7/8" at the nut. Never seen one in person, only in pictures.

12. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    There were P basses in the 70s which had narrow width at nut (like a J neck).

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've had several Fender Precisions; '72, '76 and '78 with 'B' necks that I loved (the '76 was my favorite), two '83's with the wide flat neck that I never found even slightly comfortable, and a '96 that I thought I'd like because it had a thinner neck, but it never was comfortable, either. Finally I got a MIJ Precision and put a old ESP (Jazz width) neck on it, and the bass is perfect.

14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I do understand why many folks find a C-neck uncomfortable. It takes some getting used to. I grew up with them on '60's P's, but I always preferred J necks for that reason. Still, today I like to play a '61 P-bass with a C-neck for blues and roots music sometimes. It forces me pick my notes more carefully, and that's what that music's all about.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The early AVS '57 RI necks are "C" width but thin front to back. A very comfortable neck to play, and I generally prefer "A" width necks.