1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision? need help....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Aug 30, 2007.

1. First, I hope it is ok to post this in here. I know there's been Precision posts but this is a question about the model of the bass. The description is "Fender P-Bass, MIM". I don't know if it's a Standard Precision or a Squier or Affinity. It's supposed to be Olympic white, 1998. Scale length, 34" and 1 split single coil pickup, 1 tone control, 1 volume control. These are the pictures. Thanks.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Fender Standard Precision Bass, Made in Mexico

3. Thank you, I wasn't for sure.

4. It's supposed to be in "great" shape. What would you think it's worth?

5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    BTW, if it was a Squier or Squier Affinity, it would say, well, Squier on it. The "M" in the serial number indicates it's a MIM, the "N" means it was made in the '90s, and the "8" indicates 1998.

Price? If it's in very good condition, I'd say $250 or so, a bit more if it comes with a hardshell case. You can always check the completed listings on eBay for comparison's sake.

6. Thanks for the help.

7. [​IMG][/IMG]

close up of the body.

8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

That's one nice P-bass. Looks to be in great shape. It's definitely not a Squier. It's a MIM P-bass, standard. Probably worth $350.

9. looks nice, but change those Strat knobs ASAP!

10. I was thinking about getting a VM Precision or Jazz but this looks good. It is used though. You think there's a big difference in the "playing" and sound of this MIM amd the VM"s?

11. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    This looks like a great bass in great shape - good deal for under $300. I personally would take a MIM Fender over a Squier any day.

12. I'll see what happens. Maybe I can luck out.

13. Oh well, thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I didn't get it though...outbid.

14. One more time....how about this one? Year manufactured etc.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks

15. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    MIM, 2002.

I have a VM Squier fretless, and love it, but also agree - get an MIM any day over a Squier!! *IF* the price is right that is...

16. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

If it's a Squier, it will say Squire on the headstock. If it doesn't say Squier, it's not a Squier. Fenders generally say what type of bass (Precision or Jazz) and where it was manufactured (MIM, MIJ or MIA) on the headstock.

17. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Always look to where it was made - not just whether it says Fender or Squier.

In the early 80's - Squiers were made in Japan to a standard that was either at or a tad below the current CIJ Fenders. Most people consider them superior to newer Mexican-made Fenders.

Korean made Squiers can also be sweet basses.