Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Precision Plus Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I was curious if anyone uses this model fender whish I believe was made in the late 80's - early 90's. They have 22 frets and some are active and some are passive. They also appear to have some sort of micro adjustment bridge. How does this work? Can anyone fill me in on their experience with this bass?

2. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey

Nov 16, 2003
    San Diego, Ca.
    I have one that I bought new in '89 or '90. It came with passive Lace P and J pickups, master volume control, master tone control, pickup selector, and a series-parallel switch.

I never really like the original pickups and control arrangement and put in Barts with a ntbt pre-amp.

The bridge does have fine tuning adjusters. They are just screws that push down onto the strings. The couple of times I tried them, worked reasonably well. The bass has stayed in tune pretty well, so I took them off.

The neck on my particular bass is much thinner front-to-back and flatter than most Fenders I have played. It has been my primary giging bass since I bought it.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That bridge was first used on the Precision Elite bass of the early 80s. The fine tuners work quite well, I wish more bridges had them.

They work just like fine tuners on violins, they push down on the strings behind the saddle.

The active P-Plus Deluxe uses a preamp circuit borrowed from the Kubicki basses. I personally prefer the passive P-Plus models.

4. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks. I like the P-J configuration and also like 22 frets on the neck. I might try to find one.

5. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Were these basses made of ash? I like ash in a natural finish.

6. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey

Nov 16, 2003
    San Diego, Ca.
    Mine has a natural finish that I believe is Ash. The body is fairly heavy and has a slight yellow tint to it.