Fender Precision price increase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TyKao, Jun 19, 2005.

1. TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Did Fender just increase the prices of their basses again? I went to Guitar Center in NYC today and new Fender MIA Precisions were priced at $999.95. I thought new Ps were still in the upper 800s. Now I have to spend a longer time saving up the cash to get one. At this point, I'm thinking of just getting a custom from Warmoth parts on my own because the cost differential isn't so great anymore.

Hopefully I'm not offending anyone by saying this, but the idea of paying more than one thousand for a standard MIA P-bass strikes me as kind of unreasonable. The play nicely and are great in all the aspects that I care about, but they haven't inspired that complete GAS lust within me where any price seems reasonable. I barely feel that way about Sadowskys and similar products even though I can really appreciate the craftsmanship and effort put into the smallest details. The idea of charging that more than $1000 for a new, basic one pickup bass just seems wrong. The GC employee who was accosting me was trying to convince me that the S1 switch was the reason why, but that strikes me as grade-A baloney.

Am I just being a cheapskate? Are bass manufacturers everywhere jacking up their prices?
  2. I think they have been at $999 for a while. IMO, $999 is unreasonable. I purchased my ex p-bass brand new for $550 at a local store.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    That sucks. New MIA Standard P-Basses have been marked at $899.00 at my local GC for quite awhile, which I thought was a bit overpriced. :mad:

I bought my MIA P-Bass off of ebay last year. I soon replaced it's stock pickup with a Nordstrand NP-4. All told the bass w/case, and including the price of the the NP-4, I paid under $600.00, plus the bass was like new. I strongly suggest going that route or:

Buying a Lakland Skyline-Series Bob Glaub, they've come up on ebay for less $999.00! :eyebrow:

Best wishes,
    - Art