1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender precision problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by super-cabbage, Oct 26, 2009.

1. super-cabbage

super-cabbage

May 5, 2009
    I saved up for ages and bought the bass of my dreams. a fender p bass. I loved playing it in the shop and no problems occured at all with it. it was faultless!

BUT! As soon as i got home i started having problems with the imput jack. when i insert a fairly straight forward lead into it - without looping it behind the strap lock - it seems not to connect properly and i get a fuzzy sound like its half in or something. then i loop the lead behind the stap and its perfect again! I dont understand what's gone wrong!

In the shop I had no strap and the man gave me a right angled lead to use. i dont have a right angled lead so i cant tell whether this has anything to do with anything.

Please help me out here. have any of you had a similar problem or know why it's doing this? i would greatly appriciate any replys. as the last thing i want is to have to pay a huge bill for a repair or something!!

regards olly.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    odd...

The jack is the simplest of things - - but they *can* get bent up or not work right if they are dirty or wired wrong. Is this a new bass? If not, I'd pop off the pickguard and take a look (P-bass pick guards are one fine reason to like Jazz basses!). Happily, the jack is the cheapest part on the instrument, so if there's a need to replace, it's just a few bucks.

3. tobin999

tobin999

Aug 19, 2009
    st.paul
    i could be a bumm chord. i would try a new one before you have it looked at

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This sounds like a faulty input jack or a loose wire on the jack itself. This isn't uncommon on a Precision, and usually an easy fix doesn't have to warrant a trip to a repair shop.

5. super-cabbage

super-cabbage

May 5, 2009
    its a brand new bass as well so this shouldnt have happened. it's wierd because on some angles its completely fine, but then when gravity is effectively pulling down my lead it doenst like it! :(

im taking it back to the shop on firday as its still under warrenty and makign them have a look at it.

6. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Two minutes with a soldering iron will probably fix it.